MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Just heard about a rider getting killed at Jordan River over the weekend.  Details are sketchy, but supposedly a younger rider that landed on his back and neck after attempting one of the jumps. 

Anyone have more info?

Last edited:

cyprice

Mar 2, 2003
Did this really happen? I have been watching the news and have heard nothing. It is really sad if true. It is hard to imagine someone being killed on any of the obstacles on the track. Must have been a real freak accident. MX-727 are you saying another rider landed on him? Where on Jordan River is that possible?

Last edited:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Sorry for the confusion, I meant that the rider who had died was a younger rider that had landed on his own back and neck.  Turns out he was 33.  Here is the KSL link: http://http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=5&sid=30183

Here is the cut and paste though in case it rolls off of their system:

<DIV class=storyrichtext><SPAN class=storyrichtext>(KSL TV) A motocross accident at the Jordan River State Park has claimed the life of a 33 year old man. Investigators say Scott Bagette was riding on the recreational track yesteday when he came over a hill, caught a lot of air, and then fell backwards -- landing on the back of his head and neck. Investigators say Bagette was an experienced rider. Lt. Rusty Isakson/Salt Lake City Police Dept.: "HE HAD ALL THE GEAR FOR RIDING BIKES AND WAS PROTECTED. UNFORTUNATELY MISTAKES DO HAPPEN." The park was closed for a short time while investigators looked into the accident.</SPAN> </DIV></SPAN>&nbsp; <!--+++++END RICH++++-->

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
That is really sad. It sounds like he was fully protected and it was just a freak accident. It is always hard to see something like this happen and not question if the sport is worth the risk.

GL

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
More details:

Conflicting accounts about which jump he was on, but it was either the small tabletop prior to the small double that leads to the start straight, or it was the tabletop prior to that one.

This guy had ridden the track quite a bit according to his buddies, but this was his first ride on a new-to-him CR500. He apparantly grabbed a handful of throttle and shot way over the jump. He pushed away from the bike and pushed hard enough that he flipped himself backwards, landing on his neck.

motoexpress, true, but he was having a blast, and if you've got to go, it beats getting shot in your backyard while fiddling with your dog's leash.

http://www.sltrib.com/2003/May/05312003/utah/61868.asp

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Went to Jordan today. The girl that works in the office said it was the little tabletop before the double on the straight before the start straight. Not much else she could say other than they life-flighted him out and he either died enroute or at the hospital. :(

BTW, the track was very rough and dusty today. I still had fun though. :)

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
That table is tricky. If you go in the middle it has a lot more lip and does not take much to send you skyward. I did a couple of oops' on it before.

How often do they maintain it? It seems like tracks around here groom once a month...

GL

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
That is too bad. I feel for his family. :(
That is really a fluke accident, those jumps aren't that big.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Yea, it is a tricky jump, easy to over-jump it. I did and landed in the flat, but it was no big deal. He must've really launched it. We can second guess, but after hearing about this one, I really believe you should stay with the bike and let it absorb the initial impact.

They usually groom the track on the day prior to it being open (i.e. Monday, Wednesday and Friday). Sunday is the roughest day because it doesn't get groomed after Saturday's riders.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sad to hear about this incident.&nbsp; Is there any aid for the family being formed?&nbsp;

Top Bottom