smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
Any good places to ride for a beginner-intermediate rider. I would like to go up to Berthood but it looks intimidating and the tracks look big for a beginner.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Berthoud has two or three different tracks west of that main intimidating-looking one viewed from I25. Ask the person at the front gate and they'll direct you to the track where you might feel most confortable.

Watkins also has beginner and intermediate tracks located north of the main track. Again, just ask about it whenever you check in at the gate there.

TaxPhd

Dec 29, 2003
Hey CJ! How's everything going? Do you remember my buddy Eric? He rode with us once at Pueblo. Well, he bought himself a YZ426, so wee took off to Pueblo two Saturdays ago to ring out the bugs. Well, 10 minutes into the ride, and I was on my back in agony. I was coming out of a left turn, and hit a patch of really loose gravel on top of some real hard ground. Back wheel slipped outt from under me and I went down. Now things get interesting. Left foot stayed between the ground and the bike, while the rest of my body kept going (isn't inertia a wonderful thing?). A little bit of rotational force and SNAP! Broke both the tibia and fibia. Doctor said if it wasn't for the boots, I would have likely had a dual compound fracture. Managed to get the Suburban out to where I was, and out to the road. An ambulance trip to the Pueblo hospital, transfer to Colo. Springs, 4.5 hours of surgery, and 5 days in the hospital later, I'm back home, planning some winter bike mods to get ready for the Spring time.

Hope you guys are all staying safe!

Scott

p.s. Excuse my spelling and grammer - I am pretty looped up on some fine drugs right now. ;-)

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
OOCH; WHAT A TOTAL BUMMER, SCOTT! I'm so sorry to hear that you're hurt. I hope your breaks heal quickly. I'm very glad to hear that you're planning winter bike mods, though. Important to keep a positive attitude while healing. Winter IS the best time for working on mods; at least you timed it well, eh? I'm planning some of those too. The Little Grasshopper's cylinder is in Wisconsin somewhere being bored out. Maybe I'll have it back together again about the same time you heal up and we can ride together again? I hope so!

smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
Do you guys know of any trails or open places where i can ride near the denver metro area, and would they be open to ride in the winter? Thanks.

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
Rampart Range is a state regulated trail system that's not far away. Take Santa Fe south from C-470 to Sedalia, turn right at the Sedalia Grill, then go about 10 miles up into the mountains. The gate will be on your left. It's free to ride, but you will need a spark arrestor and CO off-road registration. There are literally hundreds of miles of single-track, but you won't be able to ride there during the winter.

IMI in Erie is a nice commercial track with lots of small tracks and open areas. The RMXA/AMA State Championships were there last weekend. They also have a shifter cart/supermoto track, freestyle ramps, and a flat track. Its a great place for beginners because there is so much open area. The weekend crowd is very mellow and much less competitive than most tracks in the Denver metro. Take I-25 north to the Erie exit, go east about 2 miles. You can't miss it. It will cost you $10 a day.

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
TaxPhd said:
A little bit of rotational force and SNAP! Broke both the tibia and fibia. Doctor said if it wasn't for the boots, I would have likely had a dual compound fracture.

Scott

p.s. Excuse my spelling and grammer - I am pretty looped up on some fine drugs right now. ;-)

Sorry to hear about the injury Scott. After I broke my collarbone at Watkins in a spectacular flip, I wanted to get off the Percosets as soon as possible. That stuff takesthe pain away,but makes you loopy.

Are you still (were you I should say) still riding on the road? What bike did you get? I did the MSF course about 2 months ago and just bought a KLR650 for dual sport service. Kind of a tank compared to the CR5, but gets me some more riding time.

If you remeber Adam (YZ450F), he's recuperating from a broken wrist from a nonriding incident (motorized skateboard accident). I tried to sell the CR5 for a while, sohaven't ridden it in about 5 months, but I think I'll keep it now, unless I can trade it for another DS bike (buddy bike).

Anyway, heal up quick.

Troy

TaxPhd

Dec 29, 2003
Hey Troy!

I am actually doing pretty good. Been about a day and a half with no drugs, and very little pain.

I was street riding a lot over the summer. I bought a Victory Classic Cruiser that I am really happy with. How do you like the KLR?

Scott

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
Glad your doing good.

Too early to tell on the KLR. Got a whopping 7 miles on it so far. If this weekend holds up, I should get some more saddle time. One thing is for sure, it is no lightweight. But for mountain exploring and easy commuter, it should be fun. Now I have to get the dual sport riding gear....helmet, jacket, etc.

I've been in the dirt scene too long to go all the way to the cruiser status. I'm sure it would be cool, but I'd rather get off-road pronto. Victory is a nice bike.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Hey Troy- We're planning for Pueblo this weekend since we have snow at the house. If you bring your KLR then I'll bring my DR650 and we can practice some offroad techniques on the big bikes! -Jen

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
Hey Jen, how's it going in WP?

Pueblo....KLR....DR. I never imagined that combo. The last time I went riding there, a friend showed up with his XR650L (fully stock). He went down and fractured his left shin in about 14 places. Still gives me the ebee gebees. I also got off the CR5 onto his bike and wondered when the power was going to come one, he he.

I'll check with the boss tonight. I'll be honest, PMI isn't high on my list these days. Its a shame that your neck of the woods has snow, cuz I like WP. Any other places are you open too? You taking the kids to PMI? I can see why then. Nice open area.

I'm still in break-in period on the KLR, with a limit of 4k on the tach. That limits me to about 58 mph until I can cross 500 miles.

Also, what day are you going?

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Well, we're riding dirt in Pueblo tomorrow (Saturday). However, I mentioned your new KLR to Will and he suggested that we could do a little dual-sport ride together on Sunday. The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow to melt most of the left-over snow. Sunday's weather is supposed to be nice and warm. We could meet in Deckers on Sunday morning, then take that nice dirt road that links over to Terryall Road, and then make a loop back to Deckers. Nice and mellow since your KLR is still in break-in. Whatcha think?

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
Jen, that sounds perfect. That'll give me time to change the oil and filter and pick-up some gear for the d/s scene. Let me know when and where in Deckers and I'll be there.The cell number is same area code as yours followed by 310.7800.

Thanks. Enjoy the dust bowl......er Pueblo.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Cool; talk to ya after we get back from "the dust bowl" then. I'm thinking meeting in the morning sometime would be good, but I'm up for any time on Sunday! (Oh yeah... 648-5998)

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Hey HMS- How was the slide down the mtn in the snow on yer way home today? Great ride and awesome new bike! (I just wish it were spring already instead of the beginning of winter....) -CJ

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
Thanks for riding today Jen! Its a good thing that you didn't continue on FR320. It was worse than I thought it would be. However, I did not lay the tank over, in spite of the snow, slush and ice. It felt like summer when I got down to Monument. Well, 170 miles on the button. Another 330 and I get to see what 6,000 rpm delivers.

Thanks again and also to Will. I like the V-Strom d/s look. It looks every bit the part as BMW.

Troy

Top Bottom