do you guys run the guard on the swing arm?

sloopy

Feb 16, 2004
i was thinking about taking the guard on my swing arm that i think is supposed to keep the chain from hitting the tire or mud off the chain. it is hitting my tire and i have seen a few ktms without them?.?.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
If you're talking about the chain guide, the one that's right by the sprocket, there's no way you should take that off. You'll lose your chain and make a real mess of things. If you're talking about the chain slider (the plastic piece that goes over the front end of your swingarm), I guess you could do w/out that, but you'd wear down your swingarm and your chain a lot more than necessary. I'd check into why the tire is hitting it, like is the tire too big or are the chain adjusters not adjusted properly.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
I think he's talking about the black plastic piece that bolts into the swingarm about 1/2 way between the c/s & axle. it's just there if you need it to help keep mud from the tire off of the chain. your option whether to run it. if you remove it, be sure to put the little bolt back in the hole &/or silicon it up so you don't get more water in the swingarm (& don't forget to put anti-seize on the chain adjuster bolts no matter what you do).

velosapiens

Mar 18, 2002
i left the one on my exc. doesn't bug me. my 250sx came without one. so far it hasn't been a problem. i use it for enduros and desert racing.

sloopy

Feb 16, 2004
yeah its the one half way across the swing arm. i guess i will just leave it on. my tire is still the one that came on my bike, so i dont think that its too big. i have never adjusted the chain i only have about 200 miles on my bike so i hope the whole chain adjustment bolts arent seized up. my tire hits my exhaust too. i have some tire marks on it.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Is your tire running true? Is the rear axle straight with the frame? And is the wheel true? Sounds like you might have something out of alignment? Cheer John

storytime

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Heed the warning about the chain adjuster bolts.
Use your choice of never seize, waterproof grease or any outher quality thred lube!

L

LukeRips

The guy who preps my bikes takes the outer aluminum piece off and leaves the plastic. If you hit a rock and bend the aluminum you'll be stopped until you bend it back with whatever you can find. If the plastic piece bends it will flex and go back in place.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom