Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I thought it would be a good time to update folks on the situation at EDRA, as we have finally begun to make some real progress!

As many of you know, our master plan was approved by the TPWD Commissioners in November of 2007. Progress between then and today have been spotty as we were awaiting final approval by the Texas Historical Commission and US Fish and Game for out archaeological and our threatened species plans. Those are wrapping up now. We have a bird survey scheduled for mid-May. Final approval by the THC should be forthcoming very soon which will allow us to submit the project to the US Dept of Transportation for final rubberstamp approval.

Construction within the park can begin in earnest at that time. Can I get a yea?!?!? It has been a long process from beginning to end, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

A group of volunteers was at the park this last weekend beginning the process of flagging trails. The entire process is scripted to match the approved trail layout included in the master plan. A copy of the trail map is backloaded into Garmin GPS units and volunteers then walk the route, tying flags at appropriate intervals. The process proved to be a success this weekend and with 6 volunteers we managed to get about 20 percent of the trails laid out. They were the easier trails for sure, but we proved the concept worked as we were able to thread a needle between two avoidance areas.

Wheelers commented on the difficulty presented by the cap rock. Guarding the top of the mesa, the cap rock approached 10 foot in height in places. In that the slope approaches 1 to 1 in places below this cap rock, there is a legitimate fear of roll over ... or roll down to be more specific. These concerns will be addressed as the trails get laid out and constructed. Dynamite may have to be used to create navigable gaps in the cap rock. We will be guided by Larry Lancaster and others far more qualified than I to lay out these trails.

I managed a few photos ops during the adventure. Here is the gang learning the process from Steve Thompson and Craig Schofield with TPWD. Craig is a whiz with GIS systems and Steve and I are trying to learn everything we can before he retires this summer.

277077012_CGoKX-M.jpg

277077052_24sHP-M.jpg

Chuck Wise with a load of wood I cut for the steaks ...
277077110_H7gHp-M.jpg

Steve T and Larry Lancaster in heavy discussion about the park while the steaks were being cooked.
277077159_bC8EC-M.jpg

Chuck watched over the steaks while I worked on the other goodies. Thanks go out to Bunny for baking the potatoes in their RV.
277077240_9bEcB-M.jpg

After dinner, everyone adjourned to the fire.
277077381_8DUqh-M.jpg

One photo I managed on Sunday on one of the potential trail segments
277077354_z6CV6-M.jpg

The current development plan.
277077977_ZzVC3-M.jpg

CR406 is the white line in the bottom left corner of the image. Our gate is about 3 miles south of the intersection of CR406 and US290.

For those that are unaware, TMTC is planning on hosting the summer annual meeting at EDRA on July 26th.

Please mark your calendars to save the date.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
John Harris said:
Looks great Tony--Want to see you riding that trail segment at 30mph on your DS bike! Thanks for all you do

John:

Thanks for all you are doing for BMRA.

Also, I want to be able to give you a personal tour of EDRA this summer. I hope you can make the meeting.

Everyone:

For those that are unaware, John and Doc have quietly created a wonderful set of singletrack motorcycle trails at BMRA. They are to be applauded for all their efforts on our behalf.

KATHY VANLOON

Mar 5, 2009
Need More Info Tony

I Was Wondering How The Edra Was Going And If You Could Give Me An Update We Were Planning A Trip This Spring And Were Wondring Details About The Area. Is There Any Camping And Where Could You Camp? Any Water?

Thanks,
Kathy

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
That map looks like the place may be big enough to warrant a trip from Amarillo to have a look see.

After walking and flagging the trails, when the go ahead is given, how are you planning on breaking in the trails, ride them, Sweco machine...............?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Trailryder42 said:
That map looks like the place may be big enough to warrant a trip from Amarillo to have a look see.

After walking and flagging the trails, when the go ahead is given, how are you planning on breaking in the trails, ride them, Sweco machine...............?

Derek:

Come on down and pick up Dan on your way!

Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I got wrapped up in trying to pay bills for the first 5~6 months of the year. Still not out of the hole, but I am closer.

Guys are burning them in, but the rain has been making the weeds and face slappers grow back quickly.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
KATHY VANLOON said:
I Was Wondering How The Edra Was Going And If You Could Give Me An Update We Were Planning A Trip This Spring And Were Wondring Details About The Area. Is There Any Camping And Where Could You Camp? Any Water?

Thanks,
Kathy

Kathy:

Again, I'm sorry for missing this, but life got in the way this year.

We have lots of flat ground for camping and an indoor toilet/shower with hot/cold running water available to all that show up.

We do not have anything planned at the moment, but are working on dates now. It may be August, as it is hotest out that way in June and July. August can be quite nice actually.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom