MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Okay well some how I got a rather un approprite file (JPEG) on my computer. Ive tried everything to get rid of it, what ended up happening is it multiplied and now there is 3 of the same obseen picture on my computer that will not delete for the life of me. It says the file name is to long yet it will not let me change it? I'm a wiz with computers but this has me stumped. . . Ive scaned for viruses many times and it shows up clear but im kinda freeked out, I have a feeling I was being hacked eariler. . . The DRN web page started scrolling by its self and flashing colors. Any help of any kinda is great. Thank you. :worship:

kbud

Aug 28, 2002
Is the picture in a folder or on the desktop? If it's in a folder, move everything outta that folder thats important except for the picture. Then when the only thing in the folder is that picture, delete the whole folder. I think this should do it.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I'm using macs now, so viruses are not a problem... :flame:
With that said, have you tried:
1. Right clicking on it and making sure it isn't protected in any way
2. Starting up in safe mode so that no viri would be running, and then attempting to delete it

One of those should get Gomer off your hard drive for good

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Kbud it isnt in any folder or any thing . . .just a file. Also YZ its not protected in any way, at least that it shows. How would you go into a safe mode?

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Restart, hold down F8. Choose the third option on the menu (Safe Mode). Press the enter key. It will take a little longer than a regular boot. The Safe Mode screen is very different, and you'll want to restart once you've deleted the files

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Okay but how do I delete the un-deleteabul files?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
You might try this MM. Go to the dos prompt and get into the directory that the file is in. type "del filename.jpg" be sure you type exactly the name as it appears including any ~ or anything you see. Insert a . then the 3 charectors after that. If you need any help just ask, I know a lot of people aren't familiar with dos commands anymore.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
I'll have to try all of this tomarro as I have to be going to bed soon. . . But all the idea I can get will help!

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by Jeff Gilbert
You might try this MM. Go to the dos prompt and get into the directory that the file is in. type "del filename.jpg" be sure you type exactly the name as it appears including any ~ or anything you see. Insert a . then the 3 charectors after that. If you need any help just ask, I know a lot of people aren't familiar with dos commands anymore.

You're still using a commadore 64, aren't you? Admit it Jeff :p

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by yzeater

You're still using a commadore 64, aren't you? Admit it Jeff :p
Do they make something newer? :p

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Commodore's did not run DOS!!! :scream:
As a Commodore enthusiast I must say that LOGO was a great programming language and GEOS was an excellent operating system. I own not one, but two commodore 64's, and some really neat 8-bit games :p
My prized posession? A genuine Commodore 8400 baud modem :)

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
If you have a hard time with the file name, combine the two above ideas. Move all of the files out of the directory that the file is in, go to command mode, switch to that directory and then type delete *.* Make SURE that you are in the correct directory before you do this. If you are in the root directory you will delete command.com and that will cause you some problems.

Rannoch

Dec 4, 2002
Ive had that happen. If you have two computers, that are networked, go onto the comp without the file. Go into network neighborhood, find the file, and delete it from there. Thats what I do at least. Annoying, those long file names. :(

Mike Hubert

Apr 22, 2001
I agree, try to delete it from DOS. Don't forget to use quotes if the directory or file name has spaces in it. Example cd "program files" not cd program files. You can also remove read only in DOS by changing to the proper directory and typing attrib -r (filename).

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
I no nothing about DOS so I'm a lil wery about going inthere to delete something. . .the file is still on my computer as of now.

WideOpen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 21, 2000
dos isnt harmful (just dont try the *.* command it will delete everthing)

just find the folder the file is in and type del exactfilename.jpg

I had a virus do this once and i had to do it from DOS

If you have windows XP and broadband, ill do it for you on MSN messanger

Mike Hubert

Apr 22, 2001
If you give me the complete filenames and paths I will be glad to provide you with step by step instructions on how to delete them from DOS. I need to know all the folders and subfolders such as c:\windows\system\filename.jpg. You can do a search on the filename and make sure the View is set to Details and it will show the complete path.

Top Bottom