WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
From PK's poll it sounds like the majority of people want to ride trails (sorry Dave, but I know you've got handguards on your RM). I've also mentioned setting something up at EBMX again. Unfortunately when I did that last October only seven riders showed up as the lack of trails kept most riders away.

I know RM_guy was looking into the Square Deal Riders property down near Harpursville. Apparently they have several miles of trail and a MX track. There are a couple options that are primarily trailriding which I could check out. Both are within an hours drive of Albany, NY.

Pittsfield State Forest, over in MA, has a trail system. I don't know how many miles or when the trails "officially" open for dirtbike use, but I could check into it.

BRush, dirtybkr and myself belong to a club (Catra) that owns 300 acres in the Adirondack Mountain Park. I'm not sure what the rules are on bringing several guests, but I could inquire at the next meeting.

If anyone has any other ideas throw them out here.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
The only problem I see with Pittsfield is the need for riders to be registered in Mass. (yellow plate atv reg). It definitely looks like the trail riders are in the majority. I would still like to see any venue that we go to have at least two types of riding available for the attendees.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by Papakeith
The only problem I see with Pittsfield is the need for riders to be registered in Mass. (yellow plate atv reg)... I would still like to see any venue that we go to have at least two types of riding available for the attendees.
Unless you have a street plate. ;)
Got any suggestions for another venue?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by Papakeith
The only problem I see with Pittsfield is the need for riders to be registered in Mass. (yellow plate atv reg.

True, but on the other hand, Mass. does make it relatively painless for out of state riders to get the plate. It's about $22 per year (or roughly the same as a day at EBMX). For NYS riders this means sending a photocopy of your NYS ATV reg along with the form and a check. Takes about 2 weeks.

Hey Woods! Congrats on the newly arrived rug-rat! :) After the bonding period is complete and you start getting a bit of cabin fever give me a shout and we'll go for a trail ride.

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
Originally posted by WoodsRider
Pittsfield State Forest, over in MA, has a trail system. I don't know how many miles or when the trails "officially" open for dirtbike use, but I could check into it.

Usually May 1st depending on the Mud season or lack there of this year. NETRA sells Loop maps. I do know at least one guy who know the area well. You also have October Mountain (Nice Place, alot of Quads though)
Then there's Tolland State Forest,that I know well, we do most of our riding up there.

Last edited:

thermo

Dec 18, 2001
ive been to square deal to view a winter scramble( they hold circle track in the summer)their motocross track leaves a lot to be desired but the trails looked cool. my cousin is a member and a dedicated woods rider and he was telling me that they just got ahold of some land accross the road from the clubhouse. idont know exactly how much but he was all kinds of excited. hes going to be cutting trails very soon .
you might be interested in getting ahold of a club that owns trail in deposit ny. i think they are the ridge riders out of new jersey,im not positive about the name but iknow a girl who lives across from thier land so im positive a club owns it, they also hold a turkey run there. i read an article about it in trail rider and they said it was good fun with friendly neighbors. ill see if i still have the article and can figure out the club name. ill even talk to my cousin to see what he thinks about the idea of riding at square deal.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Originally posted by BRush
True, but on the other hand, Mass. does make it relatively painless for out of state riders to get the plate.
True, true. I just got my plate in the mail a couple of weeks ago. And that was on the 84 that got sold to me as parts only. 20 dollars to register, and 20 for taxes. I'd love to hit any Mass state forest. Pittsfield has a camping area available too.

thermo

Dec 18, 2001
ok it the ridge riders out of north jersey that own the land in deposit ny. looks to be about 160 of their own and if you can get ahold of a club member im sure theres alot more in the area. and i was wrong its not a turkey run but a dual sport ride. have you guys ever looked into tower city pa.

Last edited:

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
thermo - Thanks for joining in this discussion. There's definitely no shortage of places to ride up here, no matter what the pessimists say. Some of us have discussed having four semi-organized mini-fests throughout the riding season. Since your down in Binghamton, perhaps you can work with RM_guy to set something up at the Square Deal facility. That would offer at least some kind of track and a trail system for a more diverse group.

DJ - Would you mind assisting me in semi-organizing some sort of trail ride over in Mass. I'm sure you know all the "good" places over there. However some of us aren't street-legal, that's why I suggested Pittsfield. Well that and the proximity to Albany. Do you know of any better places?

thermo

Dec 18, 2001
your welcome. id be happy to help all i can. i just got in contact with RM_guy the other day. id love to meet people inthe area, i dont know very many people and the people i do know ride illegally and although i have not gotten in any trouble i generally dont try to be trouble for anyone. honestly if i were sitting around on a sunday and had to hear" BRAAAP BRAAAAAP" all day long id be pissed.
im also planning on trying to become a member a square deal but if i understand correctly i think you have to be vouched for, which is not a big deal with mycousin and all. at least i hope.
another thing is a lot of people ride on sundays. i ride on saturday due to the fact that sunday is my third shift monday.:(

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
DJ - Would you mind assisting me in semi-organizing some sort of trail ride over in Mass. I'm sure you know all the "good" places over there. However some of us aren't street-legal, that's why I suggested Pittsfield. Well that and the proximity to Albany. Do you know of any better places?
The only area I know well is Tolland which incidentally has the least legal trail. I've ridden in October mountain and Beartown, I'm sure with a trail map it could be navigated. Savoy and Pittsfield, I've only ridden in enduros. According to the MA. D.E.M. web site Pittsfield has the most legal trails. Either way anyone riding in these forest will need a plate. I do know members of the Berkshire Trail Riders do know these trail and I could get them to help. Maybe even lead different groups. You know people who are afraid of rocks and those that aren't.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Is it possible to get a plate for a MX bike? I'd like to ride in MA but I'm not registered in NY.

thermo,
Let's talk about Square deal riders club for riding.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
They registered my CR500 no problem. I would suggest spark arrestors for anyone who wants to ride state forests though. I've heard that the EP will check if you run into them.

thermo

Dec 18, 2001
RM_guy, let me talk to my cousin to see what he thinks of the idea. all iknow is its a small club and members can only bring one or two people to ride so i dont know if they will go for it. i also work with an older liftime member so ill tlk to him tonight at work. ill see what i can come up with. would you be interested in becoming a member. if i remember right its like 75 to start and 25 buck a year or something like that.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by thermo
guy i work with say he really couldnt say for sure. so ill talk to my cosin and see what he says about square deal.
Good. As it turns out I just found out that I know the president of the club but I can't seem to get a hold of him. Let's both keep trying to get info.

BTW, I sent an email yesterday to Thunder Ridge (just south of the Unadila track) but have heard back yet.

thermo

Dec 18, 2001
i talked to my cousin andy today. idint ask him about the trail riding, but i am going to become a member. you do have to be sponsered by a club member. im going to a meeting next wednesday. ill get back to you guys on that

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I contacted Thunder Ridge Raceway and the owner replied favorably. They hold MX and hare scrambles on the property beginning in May The woods aren’t in good enough shape to ride in April so that leaves June for the first possible time for us. They also have an affiliation with the Syracuse Area Trail Riders (SATRA) where they allow them to hold rides on the property so we will need to work around their ride schedule.

I haven’t worked out the details with him yet but it may be a “work to ride” deal where we spend some time on trail maintenance and then ride. Or it could just be a fee that we pay to offset their costs.

Let me know what everyone thinks.

As I get more information I can post it. I will also still be checking into Square Deal Riders facilities too.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Dave - The "work to ride" plan may be something to look into in the future, so keep in contact with this guy. Right now we should look into "pay to ride" events in order to gain interest in DYDR. Trust me, there's nothing worse than having three people hack branches and hang arrows on trails where 300 people ride. :confused:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Dave - The "work to ride" plan may be something to look into in the future, so keep in contact with this guy. Right now we should look into "pay to ride" events in order to gain interest in DYDR. Trust me, there's nothing worse than having three people hack branches and hang arrows on trails where 300 people ride. :confused:
Agreed. We still be able to make it a pay to ride deal though.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Dave - That's fine. DJ has been in contact with a friend of his. There's a couple of organized rides taking place near Pittsfield, MA this summer. The trails there don't open until May 1st. We could set something up out there late spring/early summer. However after reading a few Paragon ride reports, I don't think too many people enjoy riding in rocks (I'm assuming there's a few at Pittsfield).

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
I don't think too many people enjoy riding in rocks (I'm assuming there's a few at Pittsfield).
This is New England, there's a few everywhere. I think nasty rock gardens can be avoided. If you want to wait until early May and ride it we can see how bad it is. But if we want an area with absolutely no rocks I don't know what to tell you.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by DANIEL JOSEPH
But if we want an area with absolutely no rocks I don't know what to tell you.
They don't bother me... I need more practice in them anyway. :scream:

Top Bottom