merlinnn

~SPONSOR~
Nov 30, 2002
Hi there,

The other day while cleaning my shock I lifted up the bump stop and noticed what appeared to be a small chip on the shaft. My dealer said don't worry to much about it because it's under the bump stop, just keep an eye out for oil leaks. Tonight I looked again and there is now about four chips under the bump stop and the chrome appears to be flaking. The bike is an 03 YZ250 and is about four months old. Has anyone experienced similar problems?

The bike is also now out of warranty. I feel that this is a manafacturers fault given the fact that the damage has occured under the bump stop and the bike has only done 35 hours.

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
Warrenty? Never heard of such a thing on a MX bike! Over here once it leaves the dealer it's yours. However, the dealer usually will get the manufacturer's area rep to cover anything that is obviously a factory defect. It sounds like you have a good case here. Request that the area rep take a look at it and replace it. They require that the work be done by the dealer and you get to pay the labor cost so be carefull to check what labor will run.

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
I'm in Brisbane (D.B. RACE SUSPENSION) and can rechrome your shaft for under $100 plus service etc. This year i have had two yz shocks replaced under waranty for having deformed shock bodys. I haven't heard of any shaft problems on 03's but yeah your problem sucks, let me know if i can help. My number is in A.D.B. and Dirt Action mags.

merlinnn

~SPONSOR~
Nov 30, 2002
I guess I'm lucky that the bike came with a three month warranty then.

I took the shock into the dealership today and was informed that they would contact Yamaha on Monday, I will be interested in their opinion and will post once they reply.

Thanks dbrace, I plan to send both the forks and shock to you once they have done a few more hours. Or possibly sooner depending on Yamaha.

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
Glad to hear your dealer is trying to look after you. Yamaha don't offer much in the way of shock spares. If they agree to help you out they would have to give you a complete shock. Good luck.

roosteater

~SPONSOR~
Dec 27, 1999
Interestingly enough, there's another post on the same problem on a 03 KX 250 which also has a Kayaba shock. Sounds like a serious quality control issue at Kayaba.

merlinnn

~SPONSOR~
Nov 30, 2002
I feel that its flaking off and not chipping as it is under the bump stop, as to the cause I'm not sure. Where the chrome has come of you can see the chrome actually lifting slightly next to it.

Still no answer from Yamaha, have to wait till friday now.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Any chance the flaking/chipping is accelerated by lack of lubrication, since it is under the bumpstop? I have an 03 kx, 1 week old, and if there is any preventive measure, such as lubing it with grease or fork oil, I would do that. Any thoughts?

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
Lubrication has no effect on shaft longevity. I think the shaft surface prior to the chrome being applied was probably at fault, ie exposure to moisture as many of us have seen on fork internals. Either way i dont think its the customers fault on a current model bike.

Esp1

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 14, 2001
This is a common problem on most shocks, not only KYB's. I haven't seen it on that new a bike though...........

Make sure to lift up the bumstop each time you wash the bike, and give the "cup" underneath a good wash with the pressure-washer. This prevents the dirt from beeing stuffed up inside the bumstop rubbing on the shaft, and in worst case beeing stuffed into the sealhead.

Good luck!

merlinnn

~SPONSOR~
Nov 30, 2002
I still have not received a reply from Yamaha, the dealership has sent several faxes and left some messages, but received no response. I thought a brief phone call back after a week or so wouldn't be that hard.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
I am still waiting too!!!!!! My dealer told me the biggest problem was waiting for them to call back. .The service manager totally agreed with me ,being the chrome plating process did not stick . It is not from wear or any abuse. Of course. I serviced my suspension and threw it back on,being it is a half inch above the base of the shaft. I will just keep a eye out on it. I have 30 hrs on my suspension since new, the shock oil was broken down pretty good and so were the forks. I am a big believer now on doing both fork and shocks every time I service them.I use to just do the forks about 3 times before I serviced the shock. I believe the shock should be done just as much if not more!!!!!! What a difference out on the track FEELS GOOD!!!

merlinnn

~SPONSOR~
Nov 30, 2002
I talked to the dealership today and Yamaha is going to supply a new shock (you were correct dbrace), although i beleive the dealership had to push pretty hard for it.

My faith has now been restored in Yamaha, hopefully Kawasaki does the same for you bigred455.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
I am happy for you!!!!! Good job on following through and your dealer to.You see buying a bike from your dealer instead of canada has it's benefits.

Top Bottom