yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Off topic again Okie. Thanks a lot! I just bought of Tag T2's that with the adapters will be the same as CR Double Hi's. BTW, how tall are you?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
EDIT: that freakin sponsor link thingy is about as annoying as MOJO.
Can't resist clicking or what? Tell ya what, you pay the server bill each month and I'll get rid of the hack.
banana.gif

yzeater... 6-1

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
James do a little research into the "filthy truck & bus" emissions and you might be suprised how they compare to gas engines. The soot actually ends up on the ground (not that that's better), it's the stuff you can't see coming from each tail pipe that's the big problem. Also diesel emissions are getting tightened to the point that if the same reduction were applied to gas engines we'd all be walking.

Now as far a lot pipes, I agree car, truck, bus, street bike, dirt bike, boat, and even off road equipment need to meet a similar standard. Less noise may not sound as cool but it sounds better than dead silence because the area has been closed.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Radio Shack's tester is decent and works fine. Trust me, those straight pipe Harley guys and the fart can exhaust imports get their fair share of tickets. I did a whole write up on noise emissions for a case once. The best way for us "the law" to nab the sound violaters is to relate it to something that we know. There are sound laws in our Vehicle Code that give specific numbers. With a tester, it works great.
Cutting down on off-road noise is another story all together. Is it really a big deal to have us try and cut down the noise, not really. Do we need to do some give and take, yes. Giving up some noise in my mind is no big deal. I don't think we need to be so hard headed that we don't give a little to keep a lot, my .02

Emissions are a joke out here in sunny SoCal. Tax this, check emissions on that, it's outta control. Bikes emit emissions above and beyond what is allowed on the streets, hence, dirt bikes can't ride the streets (2 Stroke). I've always thought diesels give off way more emissions because you can actually see the stuff, I was wrong. It is heavier and tends to fall. Car's and everything else pollute the air. What little percentage of dirtbikes we have really doesn't hurt, but it's just another item that certain un-named groups use against us.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by Patman
James do a little research into the "filthy truck & bus" emissions and you might be suprised how they compare to gas engines. The soot actually ends up on the ground (not that that's better), it's the stuff you can't see coming from each tail <<DELETED MULTIPLYING HACK>>that's the big problem. Also diesel emissions are getting tightened to the point that if the same reduction were applied to gas engines we'd all be walking.

I spend a little time each day researching behind these things in traffic. The soot falls on and in my car. I don't think breathing larger particles of diesel soot is any better for you than breathing carbon dioxide vapors. From what I understand, these huge vehicles still spew their share of stuff we can't see. I'd find it hard to believe that a truck that burns four times the volume of fuel per mile could magically produce significantly less carbon dioxide/monoxide per mile. In any case, soot is filthy...so whether it is in the air, on the ground, falling to the ground, or being sucked into my air conditioner...I don't care for it.

I still stand by my point that there are much bigger pollution issues than two stroke emissions that are basically being ignored.

Okie, the extended code in the quote (see above) is what makes the sponsor hack annoying. If there are numerous hacks in a single quote, then it gets tricky editing the quote down so I'm not quoting the entire post (along with the added hack code). Also, if you (the generic you) realize that you have made a spelling error, the hack code shows up when you edit. Also, it appears to multiply if you edit more than once. I don't mind clicking links and buying from the sponsors.....just didn't expect it to affect the functionality of basic communication on the forum.

Also, I can't pay for the server but may be able to swing a lifetime supporter by the end of the year ;)

I do like that dancing banana though.

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The little knowledge i have of diesel emmisions is that people now beleive those soot emisions are more toxic than previously thought.
Industry emmisions account for over 80% of all pollution so concentrating on car/bikes emmisions no matter how far you go will have little or no effect.

soquel

Mar 19, 2002
Hollister Hills SRVA in CA. has started voluntary sound testing. A 98 decible level will be inforced soon. I know that a stock yz426 didn't pass, I think the ticket for a sound violation will be $70. But the good news is that 900 additional acers will be opened to the public in october! I still think two stroke 80's are more anooying then the big thumpers, but some of the the 4 stroke race systems are outragously loud! it actually hurt my ears to ride behind a few of the 450's and 426's

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
Local offroad ace Carole has a CRD on her YZ250F and really is pleased with it. It sounds quieter than an uncorked XR but louder than a stock XR. Not bad by my standards (I'm a noise Nazi, BTW).
Carole is an ISDE vet who knows her stuff (remember the all chick team a few year back - that be her team).
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/macehard...le's+CRD+Muffler.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

BTWII, if she impales me with a tire iron next ride, I'll know she heard the "chick" comment...

Last edited:

SCHLAVA

Jan 12, 2001
Okie,

I was wondering if you had ever posted the test of the Q vs. stock. I looked but couldn't find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as my enduro association is considering enforcing sound restrictions for the upcoming year!!

Mark

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
we are supposed to have a new track open up at some point here, the rule is that only stock silencers are allowedd and if they are not freshly packed then you will be asked to leave. we also had a track that does not allow 4-strokes because of the noise issue.
it seems to me that the thumpers are very very loud, ear piercing sometimes even with a helmet on. they seem to put out a strong air blast and it is not suprising they need repacking every few hours, but i am sure most owners dont realise this.
Ive also noticed that a lot of the 80cc and smaller 2 strokes seem to be louder than my yz250 with the shorty! dont know why, but they are very irritiating!

my only complaint against the quiter silencers is that they are often very long and protrude way out the rear of the bike and thus are very supceptable (sp?) to damage.

xrsforever

Nov 2, 2000
Horrah,I use the Q on my XR300. On my 03 KTM450exc it is quiet enough.I have been preaching that why we lose riding areas is not errosion but sound. KTM is the ONLY responsible QUIET 4 stroker available. YAMAHAS are just too LOUD.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
I'd have to agree, those 4-strokes are so loud! Have you ever sat at the track with like 18 125's and two 250F's racing. Those two 250F's make enough noise to easily heard over all those 2 strokes. Its cool, but its outta hand. Looking forward to the review of the Q, lets us know when its out. I'll be riding 2 strokes till they won't let me, but I sure would like to see if a decent pipe can be made for a 4 stroke without being, as Edosports said, stupid loud. (I'll be saying that for weeks now. Man, that car was stupid loud.... )

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
That FMF Q is ridiculously big!!! Its almost as long as the fender! I recntly purchased a YZ250 and was more than overjoyed to have a silencer that doesn't stick out, inviting you to rip it off with your first crash.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by SpectraSVT
That FMF Q is ridiculously big!!! Its almost as long as the fender! I recntly purchased a YZ250 and was more than overjoyed to have a silencer that doesn't stick out, inviting you to rip it off with your first crash.

As technology advances I'm sure it will get smaller but that is the price I would pay to keep my riding areas open, if I owned a Thumper.

Top Bottom