tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
Been on top of it for months. Working with the USFS
Last night was the last comment meeting here in Lansing.
Now a wait and see.
He we understand is working with Sierra Club

roy323

Dec 8, 2010
the bad part Nickis how many people who use these lands that are not even aware this is going on and even more so how many people how do and don't get involved, i have a little but personally i am sure i could do more, as im sure could a lot of people.

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Thanks for what you do Mr. Dunn!

I've been following this for a couple months. It was posted on the MMBA's forum. There's some real wacko libs over there! The contingent of folks who would like nothing more than to see actions like this one....along with gleefully hoping that gas goes to $5-$6 per gallon or more.....just amazes me. They want to see the majority of people use mass transit instead of their own vehicles....and what better way than to make gas un-affordable. They care completely against enjoying our land by using gas powered vehicles......or bicycles for that matter. No better form of control than to have the only means of transportation be supplied by the govt. The worst thing is that these liberal radicals are well organized and have cash behind them.

Thanks for posting. Although I agree that this jackwagon will most likely fail....there will be many, many more attempts at this type of garbage.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Yam7M said:
Thanks for what you do Mr. Dunn!

I've been following this for a couple months. It was posted on the MMBA's forum. There's some real wacko libs over there! The contingent of folks who would like nothing more than to see actions like this one....along with gleefully hoping that gas goes to $5-$6 per gallon or more.....just amazes me. They want to see the majority of people use mass transit instead of their own vehicles....and what better way than to make gas un-affordable. They care completely against enjoying our land by using gas powered vehicles......or bicycles for that matter. No better form of control than to have the only means of transportation be supplied by the govt. The worst thing is that these liberal radicals are well organized and have cash behind them.

Thanks for posting. Although I agree that this jackwagon will most likely fail....there will be many, many more attempts at this type of garbage.
Agreed!

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
Problem being is that once in front of a "Judge"
who knows what the ruling will be. And if they win, (and while in process) We are actually paying the lawyer bill to sue ourselves!
What a Country!

Shagy100

Sep 4, 2006
I think the guy contradicted himself entirely when you read the last line "I simply think that anyone who wants to use the forest can find some place there to do the things they want to do," he said.
which basically tells me that he doesnt want anyone there and wants the forest to him self because if thats how he really felt then he wouldnt be doing this.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Novi resident Kurt Meister, 53, an attorney whose family owns a cottage near the Manistee National Forest

Therein lies the motive. The world is full of selfish "citiots".

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Selfish is the best way to describe, one of his talking points from his site:

The need to expand the alternatives to include prohibiting off-road vehicles and firearm hunting NEAR Wilderness and Semiprimitive Nonmotorized areas. Many of these areas are only a few square miles. If off-road vehicles and firearm hunting are allowed around these areas, it will still not be quiet in much, if any, of these areas.

The need to expand the alternatives to include prohibiting off-road vehicles and firearm hunting in and near other similar areas such as wild and scenic rivers and in and around cross-country skiing and hiking trails which are not in Wilderness or Semiprimitive Nonmotorized areas.

2big4akdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
My brother and I went to the comment meet ing in Birch Run. I thought it was a great turnout, and not one person suporting this dude's allegations, from what I understand, that the numbers used in the USFS plan were arbitrary. FS says it will submit reworked plan with figures compiled from several, more acurate and documented sources. Thats the way it was explained to me.

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
MDNR's Reponse:

CONSTITUTION HALL • 525 WEST ALLEGAN STREET • P.O. BOX 30473 • LANSING, MICHIGAN 48909-7973
www.michigan.gov/dnre • (800) 662-9278
RICK SNYDER
GOVERNOR
STATE OF MICHIGAN
DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES & ENVIRONMENT
LANSING
February 11, 2011
Mr. Lee Evison, Forest Planner
Huron-Manistee National Forests
1755 South Mitchell Street
Cadillac, Michigan 49601
Dear Mr. Evison:
SUBJECT: Huron-Manistee National Forest Supplemental EIS
On September 29, 2010, the U.S Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit in the case of Meister v.
U.S. Department of Agriculture, et al., No. 09-1712, ruled that there were deficiencies in the
original Environmental Impact Statement prepared for the Huron-Manistee Land and Resource
Management Plan Revision of 2006.
On December 28, 2010, the Huron-Manistee National Forests (HMF) published a Notice of
Intent (NOI) to prepare a Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS). The SEIS is to
assess the environmental impacts of a Land and Resource Management Plan (Plan) alternative
that would ban firearm hunting and snowmobile use (subject to existing rights) on National
Forest System lands within semi-primitive non-motorized management areas and would ban
firearm hunting (subject to existing rights) in primitive areas (Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness).
This letter serves as the Department of Natural Resources and Environment’s (Department)
comments on this action.
Under the state of Michigan’s (state) Constitution and statutes, the Department has public trust
responsibility for the conservation, protection and management of the state’s natural resources,
which by definition includes forests in Michigan. The stewardship and management of the HMF
embodied in the 2006 Plan affects our public trust responsibilities.
We understand that the SEIS is being pursued to comply with the Court’s rulings on deficiencies
in the process. However, the Department is satisfied with the process that resulted in the
approved Huron-Manistee Land and Resource Management Plan Revision of 2006. Although
we are not in complete agreement with all of the components of the Plan, we believe that the
Forest Service’s (Service) process and product are good faith efforts that will move the HMF
management in a positive direction. Further, in 2006 the Department formally opposed the
premise and content of Mr. Meister’s challenge (Appeal 06-13-00-0108) to the Plan, and we
adamantly reaffirm that opposition.
The court stated that the Service did not coordinate its recreation planning with the state of
Michigan as required, to reduce duplication in meeting recreation demands with respect to gun
hunting and snowmobiling. It appears that the requirement to consider and reduce duplicative
recreation, an element of the 1982 and 2005 Planning Rules, was superseded with the
December 18, 2009 reinstatement of the 2000 Planning Rule, 36 CFR Part 219, which does not
have that requirement.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
salgeek said:
Beowulf is an easier read.

Lawyenglish is fast becoming the nation's second language. I don't understand why the state of Michigan couldn't have said it thus:

"We told Mr. Meister to Nick off in 2006, and he's still bugging you. We, the state, though not in complete agreement over how the federal forests of Michigan are managed, agree that the existing usage policies are sufficient and represent a good faith effort at responsible management of the natural resources in the state of Michigan, for which we are tasked to protect. For you to pander to this wanker is a breach of trust between the state, and the federal Government. You should have just politely told him to Nick off, like we did, nearly five years ago."

Top Bottom