going to do my first adventure race!!

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
those adventure races on tv look tough but our local parks/rec department are putting on a one day event and me and the wife are gonna do it.

1. canoe 4 miles
2. run 3 miles
3. 12 miles MTB

i just want to finish and have fun. ive got 5 weeks to improve. :yeehaw: if anything, it should improve my fitness for the ole mx.

really, i do know how to spell "pedal" it wouldnt let me correct it :confused:

Last edited:
B

biglou

Gene, believe it or not, I used to race MTB beginner class (I know, hard to imagine, but it's true). I often thought of doing a "run-bike-run" or a "swim-bike-run", 'cept I'm not sure how my swimming stacks up. Of course, nowadays it's all cheezy-poofs, snacky-cakes and throttle twisting... Cheers to you for actually getting out there and doing it. Good luck! :thumb:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Good luck Gene .. Be sure and tell us how you do.

I raced in a 25 mile canoe race in SE TX a few years back. I was so pooped, I could not even put the canoe on the truck for an hour or so.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
My brother-in-law in Florida used to run a lot of triathlons, and now organizes adventure races. They sound like a lot of fun. The ones he sets up consist of obstacles that you can't do entirely by yourself. For example, along the running course, you have to scale a wall, which can only be accomplished with the help of other competitors. None of the racers know the details of these obstacles beforehand, so you have a lot of improptu teamwork challenges with people you are ultimately competing against.

"OK, you hoist me up so I can scale the wall, and then I'll either help you get up from there, or maybe I'll just take off running and you can get help from the next guy!"

Good luck!

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by tx246
... the wife are gonna do it.
Good luck dude! Mrs. Woods and I would probably kill eachother if we teamed up for something like that.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
ok, the race is but days away. ive been running 2-3 times a week. biking once a week and lifting twice a week. i havent been able to get much paddle work in but am planning to drag the wife to the river tomorrow. she has never been in a canoe so this should be fun and will remain fun as long as we dont get wet. i know i can do the whole thing but the wife is starting to get antsy. she has been playing/practicing soccer but little else. i made her ride her bike 12 miles on monday and she wasnt fun to talk to mile 10,11, or 12. i know she can do it so ive tried to keep it positive. our goal is to COMPLETE not COMPETE the race.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Good luck to you and the wife. If my wife and I tried something like that I would most likely provide the neck to be rung! :eek:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I think this is awesome! Especially since you had the accident last summer?? You're all healed enough to do all this? You da man! Perseverence is usually what gets you past the others in a race like this. Remember to keep giving your wife encouraging words if she gets down in the race. Have a good time, let us know how you do!

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
the achilles rehab has been a pain in the well achilles. the more activity it sees the stronger it gets. i was pretty scared at the diagnosis back in july. research on the injury didnt help. it has a 15% reinjury rate. after the cast i couldnt walk without dragging my foot. i was told by the er doc that my ankle would be the most painful coming out of the cast and he wasnt kidding. as he examined the xray he asked if i had any trouble with my ankles and i said no.......why? i wish i wouldnt of asked. he said "you have lots of arthritis in your ankle......see its here, here, and here". i could of done without the info. i did the rehab and now i dont live on asprin and the limp is gone. i have become left footed because of the injury but my right is probably 90% and is still getting stronger.

this race was to put all of this rehab work to use. rehab included the biking and running. ive been to the track several times with great results with the leg holding up just fine. its just now a matter of time to find a race with some DRN people in attendance.

Top Bottom