chris kuba

May 31, 2003
Has anyone ridden in the Hatfield/McCoy recreation area at all? If so, where did you start from and how were the trails? Are they worth the trip or are they crowded. My guess is that they are similar to PA, very rocky.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Chris, My friends and I just came back from HM in April. We went to Rockhouse and Bear Wallow trailheads. When we were leaving they were having an ATV Jamboree (whoopee). Everywhere we went the locals were very friendly. The two trailheads we went to you could ride through thru town to get to the trails (that's a new one for me). And believe you me SOME of the blacks are BLACKS. And most are rocky, not all. We rode through the latter part of the week and hardly saw a soul, towards the weekend there were more people (mostly atv's). You'll have a good time.

chris kuba

May 31, 2003
Cool, at least I know it will be fun. Where did you stay? What are the rates like down there? I was also wondering what to do with the bikes over night. I don't have an enclosed trailer to keep them in.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I just read about this place in Rev magazine and was wondering the same about lodging and bike storage. It sure looks like they have more trails than you could ride in 2 days.

krismoriah

Jul 3, 2003
Guys I live about 45 minutes from the nearest trailhead of the system. The newest trailhead is near a waterpark called "waterways". About another 30 minute drive and you will be in Logan...which is where most of the other trailheads are. You cannot just say all the trails are Rocky, there is every condition you can think of...Mud, shale, rocks, roots, flat roads, hills, every kind of condition you can think of except sand. You will of course have to veer off the beaten path to go into these adventures.

There are several "chain motels" such as Super 8 and things of that nature. As far as worrying about theft...I wouldnt. The Hatfield-McCoy trail has boosted revenue by 1000% for these little small towns. If there starts to become an epidemic of theft..people wont come...so they have around 5-10 extra COPS per town that all they do is to make sure that bikes dont get stolen, and people dont ride like maniacs up and down the highways. You can ride in the streets in some towns, but not others, just check around before you decide to ride down the freeway.

For Security piece of mind Here is what I do...its cheap and a little overkill but I have never had anything stolen... knock on wood. I dont worry about the hitch being locked or the pin.. what I do is to run a length of large chain around one of the axles and into the wheel of my trailer then I padlock it. If someone tries to steal my trailer they will be dragging one wheel like crazy, and wont make it very far without every person around knowing they stole my trailer. When my bikes are on the trailer I put a length of chain through both of the rear wheels and padlock it as well. I also have a WV anti-theft for my trailer and bikes, for when I go to motels. I bought a large cowbell at the Southern States, and I tie it to each of my bikes in a hidden place before I go to bed....if anyone shakes those bikes that cowbell sounds like a churchbell...so there is no way you could sleep through that.

These towns are very low crime (if any) and there are COPS everywhere, but they are cool and are there for your protection, not to harass you.. They want you to come back and they want you to bring your friends...and lots of money. .

Motels are $50-$70 per nite...you can have cheaper mom and pops if you want...I just like chain motels and their brand new linens.

I rode on these roads before they were called Hatfield McCoy, and to be honest with you, if I live to be 100 years old I will never even hit half of them.

Its worth the trip..and then some.

Happy Trails

Top Bottom