Help! Aluminum rim corrosion problem

pankakekid

Aug 24, 2004
Hey,
The inside surface of my CR's rear rim is pitted and flaky in a couple of locations. One especially gnarly area is right where the valve stem protrudes. Is this related to steel contacting aluminum? Ive heard of both "galling" and "electrolytic corrosion" but I dont know what applies here.

Anybody know what this is and more importantly, how to stop it?
Thanks.... :ugg:

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
from what i have seen i think it is the water getting in there and getting trapped. I dont know of any way to completely stop it either! but Ill be watching this thread for someone that does.

hunter1

Feb 27, 2004
Honda stock a grommet that fits over the valve stem and then fastens down with the valve stem lock nut. They are quite pricey from the dealers but maybe can be sourced elsewhere.

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
Some of my rims have done the same thing. I think it is from water getting inside, too. I have heard others mention the Honda grommet, so you may want to check it out.

motofreak24

Nov 20, 2003
use sandpaper or a wire brush to clean off the corrosion good, then wipe down the area with rubbing alcohol after that, if you want to prevent it from coming back you can spray the effected area with a clear coat :cool:

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
you know now you mention the clear coat I have some clear spray in my garage that is made to spray on things like shovels rakes and what not to keep them from rusting mabey I'll get around to testing that out for you guys when I need a new tire.

Top Bottom