J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
Does anyone use Hockey pads for shoulder and chest protection? They seem like they would work real well and offer better protection than moto chest protectors. I've been considering going to an under jersey protector and someone brought these up on TT. You can get them for much less than the moto specific ones as well. I just don't know how they would work under your jersey, might be too big, or how comfortable they are, may be too hot as well. Anyone tried any and have any recommendations? Hockey players?

GoesTo11

Aug 21, 2000
I asked that question several months ago and did not receive a lot of information. Since then, I decided to try the Bauer shoulder pad system. It is a little bulky for under the jersey (my intended use,) but does not look that bad outside. (Looks like a high tech chest protector.) The only problem is that it is slightly warmer than my Thor protector. It is also fairly light and comfortable. (I started using mine after surgery for a shoulder separation. By comparison, it has to offer more protection than a regular chest protector.) I purchased mine from epuck.com for approximately $100. (I researched this quite a bit and attempted to add shoulder protection to a std protector, before finally finding the Bauer pads.)

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I use my shins guards all the time. Never thought about using my shoulder pads though. I've seen a couple of people wearing them. Probably alot better than wearing any chest protector though.

cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
I have thought of this but have never tryed it. Maybe I will. I would think they would be better than moto chest protectors too. I think I will give this a try this summer.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Lots of different models out there, some are just soft, cheap foam with hard plastic armor that are better suitable only for deflecting pucks/sticks than absorbing hard impacts like body checks... or trees. And they're not foolproof. My dad broke his collarbone not too long ago, wearing an expensive pair of shoulder pads. They can get pretty hot, too. But in general they're pretty comfortable. I never notice mine. I'd stick w/ regular chest protector, though. I think w/ hockey pads you'd just look like a goon. ;)

The elbow pads are definately worth it. Great elbow/forearm protection & not that bulky.

Shin guards... I don't know. I can't see how they'd fit under riding pants, or inside your boot. I'd instead opt for moto-specific knee pads.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
And unless you were going to wear a hockey jersey, forget about fitting them under your regular moto-jersey.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
My little one wears them and they do pretty good. The hockey ones I have seen don't seem to have as much plastic up front and in the rear. The front plastic is good for deflecting those rocks in the roost. Don't know where you live but here in Az its terrible. There is a local company here that offers a type of insert padding to go inside your own MX chest protector. We are going to check them out soon. They look nice but add $90 to the cost of your chest protector.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I don't know about chest protectors, but I use a pair of the child-size shin guards as forearm protectors. They work pretty well. They overlap my elbow gaurds and extend coverage down to my wrists.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by zio
The elbow pads are definately worth it. Great elbow/forearm protection & not that bulky.

Shin guards... I don't know. I can't see how they'd fit under riding pants, or inside your boot. I'd instead opt for moto-specific knee pads.

I don't know what kind of elbow pads you have, but my hockey ones are pretty bulky. Can't imagine wearing them under an MX jersey :think:

As for the knee pads, the key is to buy childrens ones. With your boots, there is no need for the pad to go all the way to the ankle, besides childrens ones are much less bulky and still better protection, in most cases, than MX ones.

I have never tried the shoulder pads, but would imagine they would be hot.

sspmxc400

Aug 30, 2001
Good topic! I follow both sports/equipment closely. I think the moto guys need to seriously update their protective equipment strategy. The hockey guys seem to be much more advanced with their equipment. I am in process of doing some more research on the hockey equipment - heat and breathability is my biggest concern - but the hockey guys put out a lot of energy so it can't be that bad??? Overall body coverage/armour is much better with the hockey gear. If I did supercross or even moto - I would go with the hockey equipment for sure (with the shorter intervals of actual riding time). If I come up with any specific brands/models that will be good for moto I will post here.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Wow, I never even thought to use my hockey pads for riding. Good idea. Thanks! :)

DEA

Jul 11, 2001
I'm thinking about the same idea about the shoulder pads. Theres a post in Trainig/Recovery forum under shoulder protection,keep us informed
Doug

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by JTT

As for the knee pads, the key is to buy childrens ones. With your boots, there is no need for the pad to go all the way to the ankle, besides childrens ones are much less bulky and still better protection, in most cases, than MX ones.

i use inline skate knee pads. very comfortable, not bulky yet still have good protection. i've been using them for several years now with no problems or injuries.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
MX547, I tried the same, but found I was missing vital shin protection (above the boot, below the knee). How do you get around this? Of course, this may not be an issue for those of shorter stature :) (I'm 6-1 with 35" inseam so there is quite a gap between knee and boot top)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom