bro

Mar 21, 2002
I just purchased an hourmeter to put on my CRF.
The instructions say to wrap the sensing wire around the spark plug lead. However, as we know, the coil is in the spark plug cap so there is no real hi voltage lead like in other engines.

Does anyone have any experience using an hourmeter like this on a CRF?

Thanks

cthowards

~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2006
I have used an hour meter on my 2005 CRF450R for the last two seasons. The first meter lasted one season and then died. Anyways, when I installed the new one I just wrapped the meter wire around the sparkplug wire 4 times and then used a tie wrap to hold it snug. It seems to be very accurate and reliable. Also, I mounted it to the frame using Velcro. It is much more secure than the sticky strips they give you with the unit.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
I have one on my 2007 CRF 450 as well, it works great. Same deal as cthowards, I wrapped it 4-5 times around the spark plug cap wire, ziptied it and used double sided tape to secure it to the frame spar just behind the radiator shroud so it is protected in a crash. Works great so far, 35.5 hours and counting.

Pat Poland

Jun 12, 2002
I am probably saying the same thing but just to confirm - if it has a conventional coil you can wrap it around the wire going to the spark plug cap. If the coil is in the plug cap, wrap the wire around the cap itself - same thing, just bigger loops :-) I have used the same hour meter on both types (04CRF250 and 05CRF450) with no problems. Also found that the space behind the radiator shroud was good mounting for me - some protection and easy enough to read.

Good luck -

Top Bottom