How do I keep my bikes safe while traveling?

calamari racer

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2001
My wife and I are traveling from Houston, Tx to Idaho Springs, Co in mid June and we're taking our bikes with us to go trailriding. I'm trying to figure out how to keep our bikes secure if we stay overnight somewhere. I know I wouldn't sleep a wink if they stayed in the back of my truck. Anyone have any ideas or advice on what I should do?

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
I have left mine in the back of a truck at a motel many times without problem although I didn't sleep very well! Just take a large chain and lock and chain the bikes together and to the truck. Putting a tarp over them will help by not drawing attention to what you have. Also, back your truck up to a bank or wall where the tailgate cannot be opened.

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Lock a chain inbetween the 2 tires, take out the spark plug, or maybe unplug the CDI unit just incase.

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
i have an open trailer and i lock the tailgate in position and lock the wheels together. the only way to get it out is to break the walls of the trailer down, or take the wheels off and then lift the entire bike about 3' over the sides. if anyone steals my bike, they've done more work for my bike then i have.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Get a ground floor room and roll 'em in. No way am I leaving them outside.

MX GZR

Nov 8, 2001
Chain and lock it to the truck.Also put the bike on a center stand in the truck and remove the rear wheel. It's very easy to carry into a hotel room no matter what floor and the bike will be VERY hard to steal without it.

calamari racer

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2001
I guess I'll just try to find a motel with outside rooms and a ground floor. It's sad that there are so many people out there that are willing to steal something you've worked for and their conscience doesn't bother them. Thanks everyone.

Howser03

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
If I was alone I'd just stop at a rest stop and sleep in the cab.... can't justify spending money on a motel if it's only me or with the boys.... if I'm with a wife though... I don't think I would be able to pull it off ;)

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by calamari racer
I guess I'll just try to find a motel with outside rooms and a ground floor. It's sad that there are so many people out there that are willing to steal something you've worked for and their conscience doesn't bother them. Thanks everyone.

It seems to be worse closer to Interstate Highways and these people are serious about stealing. They have all the right tools and know all the little tricks to relieve you of your bike. :| I always sleep better when I take my bike inside with me. :)

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I'm with Okie on this one. Roll them things in the motel. Don't forget to get some good pics of the bikes on the furniture and one of you sitting on the bike on top of the bed :) Although if you really want to keep them in the truck you can take one of those disk shaped locks (the ones they use for storage places that can't be cut off very easy) and lock they through the brake rotors so you can't roll them. This would be in addtion to the chain and other locks. Park in a light up area. Maybe back up to fence or wall so they can't get the gate down. Just make sure the fence is not wooden. I heard of someone takeing the fence behind the truck and rolling the bikes out. If you have an alarm on your truck make sure to crank up the shock senser so that if you take down the tailgate hard it will set if off.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I use a combination of devices to deter thieves.

Disc locks, front and back.
Cable lock from front rim to rear rim.
Cable lock to bed of the truck.
Back up to a wall or light pole to prevent opening the tail gate.

Rolling your bike into the room is obviously the best solution, but that's kinda hard in some motels. Especially when you can't get a ground level room. Elevators do work nicely though!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Good post, I was just wondering the same thing after this past weekend driving up to Oregon with three bikes. We didn't stay at a motel because it was an 8 hour trip, but when we stopped to eat at Denny's we always got a table by the window where I parked the truck.

For some reason a lot of people stopped to look at the bikes and I just had to wonder about what the heck I would do if I had to stay overnight somewhere.

I thought of a tarp as a good deterent. Also, running a chain through all the bikes and then locking it to the truck, all suggested above. I guess someone would have to go to a lot of trouble, but could still successfully rip you off!!

How much do those Wells Cargo trailers run?? That's crossed my mind as well.

Top Bottom