How should I mod. my KTM 200 EXC?

stangera

Aug 2, 2004
I have a 2004 KTM 200 EXC. I'm looking to make some modifications for performance. What do you guys think is the best bang for the buck?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site :cool:

Grab a spot on the couch and tell us a bit about yourself. How long you have been riding, what kind of riding you prefer, where you are located, etc. We will do our best to hook you up with some fellow dirt bike enthusiasts

I am going to move this to the KTM / Euro Bikes forum.

Check out the forum and run search. I have a 200 and know there are some great threads about mods in there.

Again, welcome to the site, and shout if you have any questions!

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
What are you looking to improve on the bike? Do you want more power? Smoother power delivery? Better suspension? It's all personal. Setting up the suspension is probably one of the best improvements to be made, along with handlebars with the proper bend. Also, if you don't have barkbusters yet, get some!

stangera

Aug 2, 2004
Hi SpeedyManiac,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I really didn't specify that. I have barkbusters, skid plate, rad guards, and all that protective stuff for the bike. I mostly do trail riding. I occasionally enter the odd hare scramble. I'm looking for more speed and power!!! From what I understand the stock KTM pipes are FMF spec. I would assume that means there is no point wasting money there? A buddy of mine just got a V Force 3 reed valve for is KDX. Would that help me? Other suggestions?

Thanks!

stangera

Aug 2, 2004
I almost forgot.... What don't you like about the stock Fat Renthal Bars? Everyone always raves to me about how they love the bars because they are nice and high. It helps being 6'2'' because I'm never in the seat. I was going to get a Scotts dampner that went under the bars to prop them up higher. I know a number of people who have changed bars on their bikes after riding one like mine.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts...

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
In my opinion with this bike, suspension work is the best upgrade, bar none...you can go faster with the suspension working better.

I think that the KTM hard parts pipe and silencer (FMF) is a decent upgrade, however you need to be very specific about what you are looking for and where you want it delivered. The Enduro Engineering pipe and silencer also has some good characteristics...however again where do you want the extra beans delivered? The stock pipe (Doma copy) is generally very good in most areas. The stock muffler (hockey stick) also works very well and is quiet.

There is more power/better delivery in the motor with good jetting and some have had very good luck with a JD Jetting kit
I also think that some work can be done with some porting to enhance the power delivery (EG Mo betta for example).

Also if you are looking for top end, these bikes can be geared signicantly different to help accomplish this (i.e. 14/45-46 and smooth out power delivery while at it, however there is some low end loss that can be made up with some other specific mods).

Specifics help with the best suggestions to come your way as everyone has different wants/needs/desires...fill us in so we can advise a package to help you accomplish your goals.

(More power/speed is not very helpful as this is very generic as we could give you suggestions for MORE POWER / SPEED and fail you miserably. One example of this is run U2 race gas, jet properly, and change gearing to 14/45 this would give you more power, better throttle response, and more top speed, but not necessarily do what you want it to do.)

Last edited:

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
i will second the steering damper (scotts or gpr), and add that i think the stock pipe runs better than the fmf.

Last edited:

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Great choice of bike. If you ride a lot of slow and gnarly, a flywheel weight helps out; the 200 has a mean snap to it. You can mess with the power-valve spring to delay/advance the exhaust valve opening.

Basically, the bike is ready to rumble right out of the box...get the jetting dialed for our area, and enjoy the pumpkin.

Cole Smith

Sep 14, 1999
So what's the story with messing with the power valve spring
Preloading makes it open later?
Just bought an '03 for my son and am amazed by the engine but would like to easy the hit when it hits the pipe.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
check here

Of course the model bike is the 125SX, however it explains it very well and has visual inclusions to help you complete the changes desired.

The other major thing to take out the mid range wack is proper jetting with a single taper needle such as a DDK/CCK.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Very astute points, Zio. The inside of the hand is for discipline, the outside for abuse. Unfortunately, the blue plastic on Yamahas bruises easily, and leaves telltale white marks.

Lower gearing on the 200EXC is best done by adding a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket...the bike runs through the 6 gears quick enough as it is, and doesn't lack torque. Properly jetted and with a flywheel, you won't need to fiddle with gearing. Stan, if you're really looking for a useful mod, the Ottawa Valley area is a great spot for a steering damper or an auto-clutch since there's so much tight singletrack and woods. Both items are pricey, though.

A tooth on the front is like 4 on the rear (there's a hidden message there, Zio).

stangera

Aug 2, 2004
I bought a Scotts dampner yesterday. I'm from the Ottawa Valley area and do lots of singletrack and woods riding. Overall I find the power fine, but some more top end would be nice. Just don't want to sacrafice the low end.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
Stangera, Okay...here is my best advice. If you want more top and will spend money to get what you want, I will give you what I think are three choices with different levels of investment:

Stage one: click HERE
drop one tooth on rear to 47 (stock 14/48 now 14/47). Good combo as it should rev cleaner and gearing isn't enough to notice but with the jetting kit should not percieve any low loss. ($100.00 US)

Stage two: (This is subjective as I don't know how you ride) One of the problems is this bike spools up so quick that it can spin instead of grab ground. If you tend to ride a gear high and lug, it may also help. Try 9 oz of flywheel weight. It will help traction and lugging ability, but is not heavy enough to weight acceleration dramatically or slow it significantly. ($90.00 US)

Stage three: Exhaust. If you go FMF...get KTM hard parts combo (fatty) or I prefer PC Platinum with silencer (you choose as don't know whether you need sparky...go short for better bottom to mid and drop to 46 in rear for more top) ($310-350.00 US)

Good luck....

stangera

Aug 2, 2004
highmileage,

Thanks for the advice! This is exactely the type of input I was looking for. I'm gonna have to hold off for a bit after buying the dampner but will probably do some if not all of the above in time.

Thanks Again!

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
Stangera, I actually think after doing stage one and two that you will really notice the difference as it will rev very cleanly from bottom to top when dialed in. It will get more traction instead of spinning the rear so much, as the slight gear ratio change along with the flywheel weight will also assist with a slightly more linear acceleration with a slightly faster top end.
I really think that you would like it with under $200.00 US invested.

If not I think stage three (posted above) would be in order to maximize the change.

Your bike is actually a very versatile bike in stock form and can be about anything you wish with a few nudges one way or the other without extreme investment.

Best of luck...

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
Stangera,

Let me know how the mods go. I've got a '99 200 exc and am considering a flywheel weight to smooth out the powerband a bit, but I don't want to turn it into a slug. I love this bike for the tight woods because it is so light and still has good low end torque to get through the tough stuff. If you change the gearing let me know. I am curious as to how it will affect its torque.

firffighter

pobit

Apr 27, 2002
More preload on the power valve spring will delay when it opens. A better fix is to install a stiffer power valve spring. They are available from KTM. You can also replace the multi taper carb needle with a straight taper and this will also mellow out the hit. Dave

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
Here's what I got on my bike and I love it.
Factory connection suspension, scotts steering dampener and stabilizer, triple clamps
Fmf pipe + silencer, sx ignition, boyseen reeds, jet kit, powernow
fat bars, pivot pegs, ktm hard parts clutch and brake levers, orange frame guards,enduro engineering :bark busters, clutch saver, skid plate, pipe guard, ignition cover, clutch cover, chain slider, rear disc guard, front guard, heavy duty wheel spacers, axel pull, pro grips, modified brakes, factory off-road graphics, grip heaters, renthal chain and sprockets, 14/50. Thats mostlty everything.
My bike is setup perfect for me. There's endless possibilities.

What you might like could be different from someone else.
Do you intend to race or play ride?

Last edited:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Thanks guys for all the wonderful suggestions. I knew y'all would come through!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom