NickInOhio

Jun 1, 2002
While I rehab my shoulder back to health (surgery last month), I am restoring my 1999 YZ125. I want to inspect the wheel and linkage bearings. I doubt they have ever been replaced.

#1 - How long do bearings typically last?
#2 - What is the best way to remove and inspect them?
#3 - If I don't need to replace them, can I just clean them with carb cleaner?

Thanks,
Nick

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
If the wheel doesn't have any wobble and it is quiet when rotating on the stand you don't NEED to replace the wheel bearings. Further, they should feel a little tight when you rotate them but they should turn. The wheel bearings are sealed so there is no way to repack them. At about $4 each just pop 'em out and replace 'em.

Do not attempt to remove the linkage bearing if you intend on reusing them. Simply clean them with naphtha, let them air dry and repack with quality grease. Don't use carb cleaner because the pressure from the propellant might damage them by driving any dirt into the bearing. Carb cleaner (and diesel) will leave behind solvants that will cause the grease to breakdown over time. Napththa drys without any residue.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Its a clean Kerosene. You can find it at Home Depot. You can also find it at camping stores because it is used in lamps (because it burns clean).

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
If the seals are rubber, you can pry off the rubber seals on the wheel bearings and re-grease them. Then re-install the rubber seals. If they are metal, it's not worth the hassle, because the bearings are dirt cheap.

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
I have a 99 YZ125. Just redid linkage bearings. I was shocked at how bad they were. I started out trying to clean them and just ended up replacing them. If you decide to replace them, you can get them out with a hammer and socket.

Top Bottom