Aug 23, 2009
hi guys and girls i have 2001 rm250 which was running fine up untill yesterday went riding all day no problems came home when i got home took bike off ute and tried starting it again and no luck keeps flooding! Ive cleaned the plug took off expansion chamber and drained the bowl and still no luck starting the bike can anyone help!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Did you try a new spark plug? Is the air filter clean? The carb float or float needle may be stuck? You may need to remove all the excess fuel that has gathered in the bottom of your engine. Take the tank and spark plug off, place the bike upside down and slowly turn the motor over, see if any fuel comes out. Cover the spark plug cap to avoid a spark/fire.

Aug 23, 2009
yeah spoke to a mate and he seems to think the needle and float is stuck! spark plug firing well! gonna take carby off tommorow and have a look would the needle get stuck even after bike was riding perfect couple hours earlier!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The float valve is a yearly replacement item, and the seat also. Go back with oem, some have reported issues with cheap after market parts. Check the floats for still being sealed. A jet could have been clogged by loose tarnish or foreign material.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
The float valve is a yearly replacement item, and the seat also...
Hmmm, I've had the same needle and seat on my '01 since I bought it new and haven't had to replace it yet.

adamjamespiening, It may well be that the needle valve is leaking. Are you getting fuel flowing out of the float bowl overflow hose? You should be if it is not sealing.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Near 10 years around here and never read/heard Eric remark about issues from such a minor issue as the float valve? It is not a "looks good" operation, just replace it yearly. I do not replace them yearly either, but let a hint of spooge or jetting issues show up, and guess what. What fuel, and maintenance can have a piece of destroying the seal also. It can be dumping fuel straight into the engine, either sitting or running. And not do it all the time! Till it gets catastrophic, just like all the other parts.

Aug 23, 2009
thanks for help guys im taking the carby off soonish so hopefull just a bit of **** has gotten in there and made the needle stick or clogged a jet cause it was runnig fine a few hours before it happened! im getting fuek run out of overflow if i lean bike over! I let you guys know wat i find today!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom