Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
yea, this one guy had one, i wish i could have talk to him about if its mx worthy. speaking of 300mxc,, anyone know the powerband setup? is it set up for low torque, like a kdx? or rev like a mx bike?

sean

robrm250

Sponsoring Member
May 5, 2002
I have a 04 30 mxc,good bottoming resistance,powerband more like a crf450 than a kdx.It is smooth then the closer it gets to top the harder and faster it pulls.The suspension is better than my stock o1 rm250 suspension and works okay on mottocross for a C rider.In the woods its awsome,best bike I have owned for the woods so far.I like the close ratio,I am used to coverting motocross bikes for the woods.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
that 300 doesnt have the sneaky dangerous midrange hit that a 250 mx bike has does it? I am thinking maybe a 300 mxc is some kind of hybrid bike.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Most 250 guys describe it as having a linear powerband. Coming off of a 360 makes it hard for me to judge as mine is more like a slightly de-tuned 500. Think of it as a 250 with a mellower powerband and gobs of low-end torque.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I was able to demo the '05 300mxc at Dirtweek just a couple of days ago along with the 300exc and 250exc. The mxc has the close ratio transmission and the suspension felt a little stiffer than the exc's but not as stiff as an all out MX'er. I ride a 98 KX250 and compared to it the mxc felt smooth but fast. Good roll on and good pull from top to bottom. I didn't ride it on the track to see how it felt but I know the motor would not disappoint and compared to my suspension which has a woods valving it would do fine. I always planned on getting another KX but now I have a head ache from being confused because I liked everything about the KTM. The scary thing is that it was completely stock, jetting a little rich, suspension clickers right in the middle. I even felt comfortable with the handling and the new seat is comfy.

BIF

Aug 14, 2002
I too am interested in the 300mxc as an offroad racing bike that can do some duty on the MX track. I was concerned because I had read on another KTM forum that the MXC was definately an enduro bike, not an MXer. The general consenus I have been getting from those guys is that if you are going to race, get an MX bike, so I have been thinking about the 250sx.

But, I still would like to know what kind of racing or terrain would the 300mxc really be suited for?

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Ya can race a 300mxc pretty much anywhere. Racing is about 95% rider.

I know a guy who rides KDX's that can whoop most anybody on this board. ;o)

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
seems like on the ktmusa.com website, they listed the 300 mxc as a offroad bike, but capable of a little mx., when i say, good for mx, i mean 30 foot doubles and stuff allowed in the beginner class, and landing bewteen the double. i know the forks on ktms look huge and the frame look just like the sx frame, so i'd think its ok for low level riders on a mx track.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
when i had a 99 kx 250, i always wished it would lug at low rpm, like a kdx, the kx just had a mid hit,but nothing else.. maybe this 300 would be a bike that has bottom lug, but still goes fast and lacks the suprise hit of a 250mx bike...wow, ktm has it going on if that's the case. especially if it wont crush under mild mx.

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
You will not crush it under hard mx unless you weigh too much. The 05 300 mxc is valved really nice and can do double duty. 30ft. doubles are generic, it depends on what the landing and takeoff look like. The typical Freestyle backflip ramp is only 40 ft.

:)

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
If compaired to a 450 4 stroke where would the 300 exc find itself in tracability, tourque, and HP. I have a YZF 450 right now, but I'm looking at trading in on the katoom for ice racing, so big jumps and whoops aren't really an issue, but wheel-spin can put you to the back pretty quick.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom