kdx357

Mod Ban
Nov 20, 2001
i need to buy a new bike and i was thinking a cr250, rm250 , kx500, or some four stroke. im replacing my 89 kdx 200 and i like the power i want more of the snap and acceleration though. i was thinking 500 as they are cheap. would the power be to much for a 15 year old 200lb 6' rider? also would the big bike go through too much gas, sprockets , tires , etc ? oh all the bikes would be early 90's and if you have advice please let me know .

Dr.Zaius

Mod Ban
May 7, 2002
What's goin on?
I rode my buddies CR500R, it is an 93, and that thing rips like a bat outta hell. I recommend trying one out BEFORE you get one, cause I have an 89KDX200, and that would be a huge jump in power! Any gear absolutly hauls ass, fighting the wheelies down! This was a MODIFIED CR500! Crazy bastid he is.
I would reccommend a 250 MX'er if it is to be an early 90's model. The fourstrokes back then were nothing like the modern four banger. Any 250 2stroke from that time period would be good, I would lean towards a Honda CR250, the Yammies were decent back then too. Good luck with your decision!

XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
KDX357 I might stay away from a 500cc 2-stroke if I were you, If you are still going to consider a 500 then do like Dr.Zaius said and TEST RIDE ONE, and keep your fingers on that clutch lever also. I would say a 250 would be good, If you are silly and are not responsiable then get yourself an XR50R 4-stroke, If you are responsible and don't act like an ass and show off until you get used to it then go ahead and try a 250, I have a 1991 XR250R 4-stroke and yes it had enough power for me since I just ride Fire Roads where I can get into 5th and sometimes 6th gear and then the rest of my riding is in tight singletrack trails, But even though the XR has plenty of power for me I now find the Powerband to be rather boring, I would like to have something with a little SNAP to it and a little HIT also, Thats why I am also looking at 250 2-strokes, Just make sure you look the bike over really good before you hand over the cash, Good Luck and keep us posted on your decision, Matt

kdx357

Mod Ban
Nov 20, 2001
ya im not really psycho but i am a power freak and im not happy till i have more than i can handle , the only thing i am concerned about is gas because i like longe rides and have not much gas money

XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
KDX357 a 500cc 2-stroke is going to have way to much power for you to handle in my opinion, I mean you won't use all of a 250 2-strokes power either and they can be hard to handle at times, I say get a 250 and ride it awhile and if you want more power then move up, I didn't relize how much power the 500's had until I saw my neighbors friend riding his CR500R and he got into 5th gear and still couldn't keep the front end down, Good Luck,Matt

needabike

Apr 24, 2002
i agree the 500 would be a huge jump. like someone said you wont even use all the power of a 250 MXer, i rarely use all the power on my Cr125 and i ride mainly in pits. they are crazy fun and fast..

Top Bottom