RedRyder

Mar 29, 2001
First I'll start with my stats.
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 173lbs.

I've only really got into riding dirt bike 2 years ago. I've had a Honda Trail 70 and XR80 in my youth, and I am now on a '88 XR200R.
I mostly ride logging roads with a lot of elevation changes and long uphills, wide open strip mine roads, and VERY TIGHT trails. My XR has enough juice for the tight and sloppy stuff I love. It's very quiet when baffled, runs all day on a full tank, and starts every kick. This is what I like about my bike.
Now what I don't like is low ground clearance, the bogging down on uphills, and it winds out to qiuck in 6th gear on the strip mine roads and asphalt between trails.
I'm looking at the KDX200 mainly because it is relatively cheap, has lights, large tank, and because it is a "real" bike, compared to what I ride. I've never ridden a KDX. I'm not craving roost-throwing power; I want a bike that hooks up. I rode my cousin's '91 CR250R on my favorite tight trail and couldn't ride 20 without stalling. I'd pull the clutch in on corners and the bike would die. No idle at all. I suppose a flywheel weight would help greatly, and that was my first experience in the woods with a 2 stroke. My arms were pumped up in a matter of minutes, something that NEVER happens to me on my XR. Also, I live by 3rd gear on my XR. It lugs along nicely. When I tried to ride in 3rd on the CR, it would bog and stall unless you either gave more throttle and shoot down the trail like a rocket, or stab away at the clutch. In 2nd, the back wheel broke too easily. I gladly swapped back to my XR when I finally got up with my cousin who was waiting and wondering (about 50 yards up the trail) what the heck I had been doing the last 20 minutes. I did like how much taller the bike sat, and the forks didn't stay in dive mode like those on my XR. Maybe I need more seat time on it, but I do know that a stock CR250 isn't for me.
I've also rode a DRZ 400E, but not long enough to really know if it's for me. It did have controllable/predictable power, and lots of it.
So in the end, I'm ready to get a serious bike. I plan on racing a few harescrambles this year, and would like to try a few laps on the supercross-like track at Pine Mountain.
Am I just giving up too easily on 250 motocrossers? Or are they as hard to ride in the tight stuff for everyone? If I had my druthers, I'd get a '00 or newer KTM 250EXC, but there isn't a dealer in 100 miles from here, and I'm on a budget. I think a KDX would be great for me. I've heard only good things about reliablity and how they're a blast to ride, but with the hills and tight stuff, I'm afraid I'll have to keep the clutch busy and the engine screaming. Will the 200 lug up hills and pull third in the tighter stuff? If so, I'll have an easy decision when the new bike money is saved up. I'm almost there...
:)

KDX Fill

Jan 24, 2002
Boy, did you come to the right place. First thing, consider going with the 220 if you can afford it. The 220 has more hop up potential. The KDX is nothing like the CR or any other motocross bike. Motocross bikes have very little low end (the reason you kept stalling) decent mid-range and an explosive top end. Fun if you like that type of power band. But if you like riding trails and demand a bike that doesn't require constant clutch work then you will find the KDX to your liking. The bike has enough low end to get you through the tight stuff without stalling. It comes on smooth from the bottom to the top. The stock bike is really quite for a 2-stroke and gets decent gas mileage.

MassKDX

Dec 11, 2001
I have driven many of different bikes from my friends 99 KX250, 01 RM250, 98 KX125 and my brothers 98 KDX220 Well needless to say is that I bought a 01 KDX200 to fit my budget and to get the ride that I was looking for. The MX bikes are fun to race in wide open areas and tracks but in the woods and in tight trails they are good if you know how to ride the clutch….hehe. I specifically ride the trails and stuff of that nature(tight and technical courses). My friends all ride the MX bikes thru there as well. I just have an easier time doing it. So that told me I should be buying a KDX like my brother. The KDX is nice because you have low first and second gearing for the woods. Then third gear is a fast gear for the KDX200 with great pull and speed. You will enjoy being able to give the bike throttle and feel the bike pull in the higher gears as well. I am positive you will not be disappointed in the speed of the KDX. You will be disappointed in the suspension (bone stock). It bottoms out too easy. Check this forum for the suspension mods people have made to their bikes. You will need to replace the front springs as soon as you get the bike. This is what I did when I picked up my bike in December 2001. Now it is January 2002 a month later and I have installed new fork springs to my weight and the inexpensive mods. Read this forum to find out more and visit http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/ for more info on the suspension and hop-ups.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by KDX Fill
... consider going with the 220 if you can afford it. The 220 has more hop up potential. ...

Why do i see people keep saying this? What gives the 220 more hop up potential? I am not saying that it does not. Just want to know why people say this.

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
People say that the 220 has more hop up potential, mainly because of its larger displacement. If you change the carb to something equivalent to the 200, the 220 will make more power...and so on.
On the flip side, according to what I've heard, Eric Gorr's 225 kit for the KDX works better using a 200 cylinder, because of differences in porting. Since the 225 kit is basically the top-of-the line as far as KDX 200/220's go, this says that ultimately, the 200 has the most hop up potential.
I've been wanting more power, and I have been considering getting my bike bored to 225, so I'm pretty glad I have the 200.:p

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
That's good to hear because i sent my 200 top end off to Eric Gorr yesterday for his 225 treatment. He stated that the 200 was better then the 220 when going to a 225. But i keep seeing people state that the 220 has more hop up potential. I guess i would like for people to have some kind of backing if they are going to say this.

My opinion is that the 200 has more hop up potential. It starts off with the larger carb and has a better porting situation for when you bore out to 225cc.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
I will second that notion of the 220. Its a little more tammer in stock for than the 200, and has much more low end torque. Its probably the best bike for a relative spode like myself to make the transition from 4 strokes to 2. I used to swear by 4 strokes, but now I'm a 2 stroker guy! The KDX suspension is not great stock, but will feel like a step up coming of an XR200. I have a friend trying to come off an XR200 to two strokes. He still can't get the feel for my 220, but he is getting there. (At the cost of my clutch) Happy Trails!

OLD-N-SLOW

Nov 21, 2000
I guess i would like for people to have some kind of backing if they are going to say this.

I agree. If you are going to respond to a post please try to be as acurate
as possible , as what you say may have an effect on someones buying
decision. We as DRN members have that responsibility. There, now that I have preached, the 200 and 220 are nearly the same. Displacement,minor
port differences, o-ring chains and carb size are all I can think of. Please see
www.justkdx.dirtrider.net for a complete listing of differences and mods that
can be made to improve both.
You sound to me like the perfect canidate for the kdx!
Good luck,
Steve

RedRyder

Mar 29, 2001
KDX200 it shall be, when the money is all saved up. I can always add a FMF gnarly to make it more 220-like, right? Besides, I've only got one harescramble under my belt (broke right foot peg off in first turn pile up, but was still the most fun I've ever had on a bike yet! I got 3rd in my class!) and I think I need to stay in the 200cc C class a few more races. Then I'll pull a Shane Watts and enter the Open class. :D
Thanks for the input guys, and happy trails.

KDX Fill

Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by OLD-N-SLOW

I agree. If you are going to respond to a post please try to be as acurate as possible , as what you say may have an effect on someones buying decision. We as DRN members have that responsibility

OLD-N-SLOW is making reference to a comment I made. I said the KDX has more hop-up potential. That comment had stuck in my head from an article I read in the June 2001, Vol 31 NO. 6 issue of Dirt Bike magazine. The title of the article is "Home Grown VS. Store Bought". The article says the following "Jeff Fredette is planet Earth's leading expert on KDX's...and he prefers the 220, just because it has more hop-up potential." The article goes on to explain "you can leave the cylinder alone if you do a few simple, smart modifications...bore out the stock 220 carb...most important of all, install a new pipe."

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
The idea of hop up potential is pretty relative. From stock, the 220 has a long way to go to get to the same performance as the 200 on the top end, but it will just kill the 200 on the low end. From stock form, it may be better to say that the 220 has more potential for improvement.

Yes you can get more power from the 220 if you use the stock cylinders, or even if you port the stock cylinders, but if you overbore, the 200 is a better base motor. And for the amount of money you spend on a 220, you could buy a 200 and make it a 225, so that almost seems more logical.

It all depends on what is meant by "hopping up."

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom