JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I camped out at the Red River cycle park (Muenster) over the weekend with sons Scott and Mark. We missed the cool weather Saturday morning because of some van trouble. It was already heating up when we got there around 11, but we still got a nice ride before it became unbearably hot, then rode a bit more in the evening. We only got in about 27 miles.

Sunday was brutally hot. We took to soaking the inside of our helmets with water drained from the ice chests, and soaking a towel with that icy water and wearing it around our necks. Helped for about 15 minutes, then it was just hot. We rode about 30 miles Sunday.

Sunday night, the wind came up about 3 a.m., and nearly blew out tent and pop-up shelter away. Had to get up in the dark and put everything up. Then I heard thunder in the distance, and started to see lightning. Got up again, in the dark, and stowed everything we could, put the rain fly on the tent. I slept in the Bronco. At about 6, I decided I couldn't sleep, so got out to change air filters and check nuts and bolts on the bikes. As I finished the last air filter, I felt big drops of water. Got back in the Broco, and it just poured. Scotty was still in the tent. After 15 minutes, our campsite was a lake. Scotty came to tell me the bikes were falling over as the kickstands sank in the mud. We had to get out in the downpour and move the bikes to solid ground.

It stopped raining by 9 a.m. We waited a while for it to dry out a bit, and got in a couple of nice, cool rides before the clouds burned off and it started to get hotter. It never really got too bad, probably only about 90 by 3 p.m. We rode all day, on and off, then got in a nice evening ride before leaving at 8 p.m. About 50 miles Monday. All in all, it was about the best day you could expect in Texas in July. The ground dried out pretty nicely by day's end, leaving lots of mud puddles, which were really a lot of fun. It's amazing how much water Muenster can handle.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
sounds like a good time jim. my bike is waiting patiently on me to put it back together. ive gotten some help in the suspension forum about how to take apart the valve stacks in the forks. im gonna soften that cr up a bit. it has been so hot that ive been out only to go to the lake.

Proxy

N. Texas SP
Mar 14, 2005
Awesome :cool:

I'm still debating about heading out there Friday night and camping or just heading up Saturday morning. Camping Friday night would be preferable, but I know I wouldn't get much sleep if its anything above 75° at night.

If I could just get a nice window unit for the tent :nod:

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Gene, I'm thinking of getting a boat next summer and riding a bit less during the hot months. Or I just may have to invent the air-conditioned helmet.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I'm going to try one of those cooling devices for the neck, sold by Sharper Image. Probably junk at $30, but worth a try.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
JMD said:
I'm going to try one of those cooling devices for the neck, sold by Sharper Image. Probably junk at $30, but worth a try.

JMD, I have one - they are better than nothing! I use it when I road race my car.

I missed you @ Muenster Saturday pm.
I will be out this weeknd for the AM only - probably leave about 1pm. It's to hot, or maybe I'm just a #$%@!

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
EnduroNut, I'll probably be out at Muenster Saturday morning. I may stay until the evening ride, but it doesn't really cool off much until 7 p.m., so you have one more hour of riding. I wonder, does that little neck cooler work any better than a wet cloth around the neck?

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
The Texas summer is here. Sometimes I wish I was a yankee again but not in the middle of January.

I want AC in my helmet too. How about just a big fan to keep the noggin cool.

Keetoman

Mar 16, 2003
Missed you guys out there Saturday. I rode Sunday and saw Grady there. Didn't recognize him until after he pulled off the helmet!

Grady, thanks for trying to find that clutch perch. Good thing my buddy had one or I would have been done for the day. You should have stuck around. Wehad a fast pace going later that day!

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Keith, we seemed to never get back over your way.

but next time :ride:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom