seh6183

Oct 10, 2009
I have noticed a lot of what seem like aftermarket parts on this bike. I know that KTM's come with a lot of higher quality parts, but I'm just not sure which ones are stock and which ones are aftermarket. I was wondering if someone who knew about these bikes could help me out. Here is a list:

-Brembo front caliper
-Steal braided front brake line
-Looks like aftermarket disc's (the ones with a flower like shape)
-excel rims
-FMF Gnarly pipe (i know this isnt stock)
-Boyesen reed valve
-Renthal oversized bars (the ones that look like pro tapers)

I just have a few questions about some of this stuff. First off is there anyway I can tell if I have a Boyesen RAD valve or just a Boyesen reed valve? Or is there a difference? Also is there anyone out there that has used a Gnarly FMF pipe and a FATTY and can tell me if there is much of a difference with the powerband.

About the bars. The bars feel way too high for me and I think its causing me to get arm pump; I am 6'1 and 215. The bike also came with the stock bars and when I held them up to the Renthals they appear to be the exact same height. Did KTM's come with abnormally tall bars in stock form? Anyways, any help would be appreciated thank you.

mdavidso

Apr 28, 2009
Most KTM bikes come stock with most aftermarket parts for various other mnaufactures. They do come stock with Brembo brakes, Steel braided brake line, Excell rims. I do know that they come with a wave pattern for the brake rotors, not sure if you would call it flower. I also dont know if it comes stock with Boyesen reeds, but I do know that the RAD vavle is a great buy, lots more bottom end. I dont know, if they do come stock with oversized bars but I believe that you can buy either hi bars or low bars in the oversized 1 1/8. Also, Many of my 2 strokers, have the FMF fatty pipe, its a great pipe, but I dont believe they make it anymore.The Gnarley pipe is for more bottom end power though.

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
seh6183,
Your bike sounds like it is stock including a RAD valve, with the exception of the bar. KTM's come with oversize bars, but I don't think Renthal got the nod. Yes, the stock bars came higher than the japanese counterparts.
The Gnarly pipe is thicker than the Fatty for more impact resistance.
The Gnarly will boost low end at the expense of top end and was designed for off-road.
The Fatty was designed for MX and extends the mid range and top end.

Spend time setting up your suspension, and make sure you get your sag right. KTM's require more set-up time, but work great after you do. Sag is critical, and will be a touch more than the japanese bikes require..

seh6183

Oct 10, 2009
Awesome, thank you for the reply. Ill be picking up a Fatty and putting the stock bars back on for now. I am also reading up a ton on carb jetting so I can get that dialed in. My fork seals are blown right now so ill wait to read up on suspension tuning. Thanks again.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom