mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
I just moved to dallas for grad school. I am looking for places to ride and some riding buddies. I rode a lot of fast single track, desert trails, and dunes in west texas but have had no track time. i would describe myself as intermediate (2+ years riding). i've hit a few big dunes but not sure i want to start tackling big triples (closer to 30 than 20 and can't afford to break any bones while in school).

i hardly have any free time but when i do i would love to get outside. is there any single track near dallas? i am guessing some clubs might have some land or know people that do.

right now i am looking for a condo, townhouse, small house to buy near parkland that has a garage. so if anyone knows any affordable areas please let me know. right now i am keeping my bike in melissa at a buddies place since i have no place to keep it at my apt.

also, anyone have any ideas on general specs to start rejetting my bike. i had it dialed in for 4000 ft. desert conditions. 2002 cr 250.

so- if you know of any good places to ride, want to take a dallas newbie riding, have an idea for jetting, know of a good affordable neighborhood please shoot me an email.

thanks all,

-henry

larchitect07

Apr 16, 2007
Nice to see another newbie. I just moved her myself(4 months ago) after graduating from OSU. I'm over in the Addison area. If your into trail riding and don't mind a little drive then this is a good place to be. Two good places that many others can tell you much more about than I are Bulcher, Texas (Site of Red Bull Last Man Standing), and Cross Bar Ranch in Davis Ok. From everything I have heard and past experience these are great places to ride. My time on a bike has been limited since moving down here and I would love to get back in and ride.

cjfolse

Mar 1, 2004
Welcome to the area Henry! I ride all the time but it's mostly motocross. If you are ever intersted in getting an MX track, let me know because I have been to almost every track in North Texas and can tell you which one you would probably like based on what you would tell me is your riding style.

I'm going to be riding this weekend as well, just not sure where yet.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
A viable riding area is a place called Rocky Ridge. It has a little bit of everything. Hill climbs, rocks in places, some tight single track and it isnt too far from the metroplex. If you are storing your bike in Melissa, there is a membership riding area north of there called Bells. It has a 6 mile harescramble loop that is fast. If you are able to keep your bike in Dallas, then there is Gilmer aka Barnwell. It is south and east of Dallas. From what I hear, there arent many bikes, but there is lots of worthy singletrack. Most of us trail guys live at Muenster aka Bulcher. There is lots of terrain to play on. Be aware that some of these guys know every root and rut on the place and can fly. Some of them are in this forum. There is a good core group and somebody is up there most every weekend. They always let you follow and if you can keep up, you will learn a lot. I cant keep up for very long but its all good. If I am there, and you dont have AA credentials, come ride with us. Bulcher does have sand so parts of it will make you feel right at home.

CrossBar has 45+ miles of two track stuff. The terrain is ROCKY. If you are uncomfortable on rocks, this is the place to get over it. Just be sure to have the gear for it. ie chest protector, elbow, knee pads. It is a nice change of pace. No sand.

Oh yeah, just pm mx547 on this board. He has an 02Cr and had the same jetting problems. He might of ended up replacing the carb though.

mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
thanks for the replies. i have a series of tests coming up so i am not sure when i will be able to ride but when i do i will look you all up.

i have another really important question. i left the only mechanic i would trust with my bike with behind. he took care of stuff i couldn't (like recharging a shock, helicoils, etc.). he had his own shop and worked on whatever he wanted (he had his choice of customers since he was probably one of the best in the sw). anyways, i am looking for another mechanic i hopefully won't have to use and a good shop. are there any good shops in dallas (not the big dealership type)?
also, looking for a good place to get oil, gear, etc.. that isn't there just to sell bikes.
i know i ask alot but i figure some of you guys have had to have figured this out.

thanks for all your help!

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
Most of us on the forum are mechanical and do much of our own work. I have a shop and a place to ride and check out bikes (Sherman). I am only a so so mechanic but can figure out most problems (with a manual) or know someone who can. I have a local guy that is very good but he is on the road most of the time with a motocross team. I have 4 stroke Yamahas so I am pretty outdated on 2 strokes technology unless it was built in the 70s (ha ha). There are forums here where you can also get help and advise.

Cycle Gear in Plano on I75 is a good local place for bike gear. Dirt Rider also has some sponsors (i.e. MX South) that are pretty good. I but most of my stuff from MX South unless I need it quickly.

I recently purchased an Amsoil dealership and will cut you some slack over retail prices if interested in using a higher dollar synthetic product. I am competative with the bike dealers and their stuff is the typical dino goo. I have been sold on synthetics after finding mobil red cap and using it for the last 4 years. I only trail ride but my valves are still tolerance after the 4 years.

photojojo

Jun 10, 2006
the riding park in bells is called Stone Creek and it's got 10 miles now + plus a grass track kids loop that's a couple of miles long. i was thinking about going out there Sunday, but I'm not 100% sure yet. You up for it Gene? http://www.stonecreekpark.org/

Cross Bar is awesome and is my new favorite place to ride. The trails are all one way and they limit four wheeler access to certain parts so you have true single track in some areas. I would call the long loop intermediate. The short loop has some rocks, but not as many and is mostly flat.

Mudd Slinger:
Do I know you? I live in Sherman to.

mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
i can't make it this weekend. i have to be at parkland. i will be sure to check it out though. as far as oil is concerned i love my klotz. i run castrol atf in the gearbox and haven't had a problem. so i think i'm covered there.

i appreciate all of the input. i will pm or post when i have a free weekend. if any of you all are free we will go for a ride.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
brian storrie does great suspension work. if you are looking for a wrench, the guy is elmer. he has been in the biz for years and has a cult following. he is in the corinth area though. has been an independent motorcycle mechanic for 20yrs.

photojojo

i am finding this thread late on friday night. ive already made plans to ride muenster on saturday. hope to see ya at greenies wedding though.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
tx246 said:
photojojo

i am finding this thread late on friday night. ive already made plans to ride muenster on saturday. hope to see ya at greenies wedding though.

[highjack]

I'm gonna miss seeing everyone at greenies wedding, but he should have planned better. It is the same day as Kav's wedding and I am photographng that wedding. Y'all have fun!

[/highjack]

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Bells would be the best, most practical place for you to ride since your bike is in Melissa. The track is pretty fun, and dries out fast. There's a good mix of double-track type trail and grass track type trail that makes for a fun flowy course. When I've done races out there in the past they've had as many as 14 miles of course marked, and never less than about 8 (depending on the series).

Brian at SMS probably isn't that convenient to you, but he does do good work. I've always taken my bike to him if I had a problem that I couldn't figure out myself. He's also involved (owns, manages, both? not sure what the deal is now) Lone Star KTM in Fort worth.

Back in the day, we used to go to Al Lamb's Dallas Honda. They were always good to us. Probably closer to you in town, might be worth a shot.

mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
anybody want to go for a ride sunday? anybody know how would i get in touch with the Bell's track if it's membership only?

weaksauce

Aug 1, 2008
I'm looking for some seat time this weekend. I'm right at 360 and 183. Anyone know where I can ride legally to get some trail time with maybe a few small jumps?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom