MidlandMoto

Nov 4, 2004
There is an area north of midland called Kawkawlin creek flooding, I went there the other day and noticed there didnt seem to be any ORV restrictions accept for the time of year(no motorized vehicles between Feb 2 and Aug 15). Is anyone familiar with this area and if you are is it ok to ride my bike there?

Also I notied on my county map there is an old railroad grade that goes through there and also goes through south Ausable state forest. I coudnt find where it crosses or meets the road anywhere while driving my truck scouting for it. The map shows it should cme to the road but I see no sign of it. Anyone know if its still there, and if it is is it legal to ride on and how do you get to it? I love old rail grades because its the only place where I can wind my bike out all the way. ( I have a 2001 Honda XR650R and its top speed is unreal) :worship: :ride:

Thanks, MM

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
HI MM:
Sorry but I am not familiar with that area at all so I cannt help you out with the "old grade" your looking for... Maybe I can help with understanding our Michigan ORV laws though..
Is your 650 street legal?? If so, the laws that govern it are TOTALLY different then stock (trail only).. On an unlicensed (no plates and insurance) the only "legal" areas in lower Mi are those "posted open" - there are rules for this too - ORV sticker, helmet, spark arrestor.. To qualify for this "open" status - the trail you are on must be posted with the familiar orange triangles.. There are lots of riding areas that qualify for this status but, to be honest with you, most of them are not the type of trail that you have mentioned (running WOT on a 650)... The DNR has gotten pretty sticky about non-legal bikes/quads/dune buggys/6 wheelers and ATC's (no plates and insurance) even wandering down forest two-tracks that you will cross when following these legally posted ORV trails..
Although I EAT - DREAM - LOVE our Michigan single track, I have personally found that riding powerlines, two tracks, forest roads and even an occasional section of highway on my "street legal" KX500 is a BLAST too - this is now called Duel Sporting (funny, but throughout the years I always called it riding :eek: )
At any rate, I hope this all helps in your endeavor to enjoy your scoot and the great outdoors...
Oh yea, there is one one place in lower Michigan that you can ride your 650 FAST - Silver Lake Sand Dunes.. Dunes are power robbers and there is NOTHING like a big bore bike out there - last time I took Kadie (my scoot) there we won LOTS of races on the drag strip, RIPPED up the hills and even passed a couple buggies at 85 plus on the rear wheel :p Fun to do at least once....
Woodsy

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
They've generally shut that area down via gates. You went in (sounds like) from the south where the Midland to Macinac footy trail starts. All of the forest roads in there are legal unless gated closed IF you can get a car down 'em and IF (as Woodsy points out) you have a plate. No plate, no riding in there at all. There's actually quite a network of roads in that little area with a lot of mud/water. They keep closing pieces of it down as fast as their (they being the Gladwin DNR Field office) budget allows.

The Gladwin ORV Trail is just to the north of that area, what's left of it anyway. The trails north of M-61 are still closed as of a couple weeks ago.

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
Hey Brian

I'll add my 2 cents here too, since you're new to Michigan. I believe the area you described lies north of Esty and south of M-61. It is one that is heavily patrolled several times each year by the DNR: early spring at the start of riding season, firearms hunting season in November, and at the start of snowmobiling season which depends on snowfall in the area. I have been all through that area with my Jeep Wrangler as it is the closest place I can 4WD ... I too have been on that railroad bed but it has no exit from the area without crossing private land. Actually it is not a legal area to drive on with a vehicle but folks do it all the time. As 2TrakR & Woodsy stated, if you are plated though, all of the ungated roads are basically open for you to ride, but in all my years out there in my jeeps, I have seen only one Dual Sporter ... pulled him out of a deep mud hole with my winch ... he had been stuck there by himself for more than 4 hours and it was almost dark when I stumbled across him. Even when it is quite dry you can expect to find considerable mud and water over many of these 'roads' so be very careful if you're out there alone.

terry nestrick

MidlandMoto

Nov 4, 2004
Hello Woodsy, thank you for the advise, I thought that you needed to be plated but I was not sure. The signage seemed a little confusing, and I was wishful thinking because it is an area so close to my home I wouldnt have to truck my bike. I guess I will have to stay out of there unless I plate my bike. :bang:

Hi 2TrakR, yeah you are right that was the entance I used, too bad its not ORV trail because the turns are nicly banked and its not whooped out!

Hello Terry, thank you for letting me know how the DNR patrols the area. I am lucky I didnt get a ticket! By the way I am not new to Michigan, just new to living in the Midland area. I am from Lansing and am used to hauling my machines for 2 hours just to go riding. When I found the flooding area in my 4x4, I got all excited and though I could ride my Big Red Pig there. I'll have to stick with the trail system! :think: Terry I just got your email, I'll be sending you my information, addy and phone and whatnot. Cant wait to meet you! Also if anyone else wants to exchange phone numbers and stuff just drop me an email.

I cant wait until spring, I may try and sneak on up to Gladwin before gun season and do some riding. :ride:

Top Bottom