jonooffler

Jun 10, 2009
Ok just going the trow this one out there I have just been offered a 2004 TE450 Husky for my KDX220 2003 I do a bit of road work and light green lanes which one would you go for .
I sort of know which I want I just wanted to see what you lot think.
Thanks Jono

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
The husky is a nice bike, but I wouldn't trade my super reliable smoker for any 4 stroke. I'd like to have both, but if it's one or the other I keep my KDX.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
For road work, the extra power of a big 4 stroke is nice.

I'd be very tempted to make the trade, and cross my fingers I never need to replace anything expensive on the Husky.

Any chance you can ride the two bikes back to back? Go on a ride with the Husky owner, and swap back and forth. If the Husky floats your boat more and he likes the Kawi more, I'd have no trouble making the swap.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
If you really do street riding, the Husky is probably a better choice. But when it comes time to rebuild, you could very easily find yourself shelling out more $$ then what you could buy a good running KDX for. I can get parts for the KDX all day long from one of two local dealers, and on ebay. I wouldn't even know where to start with the Husky.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Get a bike for the road (Husky or not) and keep the KDX for the dirt. If I was going to ride a dualsport bike on the road I'd go for an XR600 or 650. Not sure about the 650 but the 600 is pretty much bullet proof. You have to ask the question why does the guy want to swap his Husky for your KDX, he must thinks the KDX is a good deal against his Husky. If you are thinking about swapping it you definately want to have a ride on it in the places you normally ride your KDX, just to see if you really like it more.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
I picked up a KTM 400 EXC to compare the 'good' points of the two different bikes.
KTM good was smooth tractable power anytime it was needed.
The KDX good was going farther when going as fast as possible (tortise and hare), lower costs (initial and maintenance), reliability, ease of maintenance.
-For me- the KDX suites my skills and finances and physique.
-For most- the TE 450 may provide more +'s.

jonooffler

Jun 10, 2009
Thanks for all your input on this guys .The right thing to do is to get the better bike and we all know that that will be the KDX I know that for me it's a great ride and that it fits me and what I need from a dirt bike.
The KDX will need a new piston and rings before too long ( it might even have the first Piston still in place ) If I keep it I will fit a new pipe on it.
The Husky just sound like a nice bike and I find that pre mix oil is adding up the price of each fill up I know its not much but it adds £1.50 to each 5 liters of petrol £5.60 so fill up for 60 miles will cost around £14.00.
I would be sad to leave the KDX fold I do feel that there is a lot of help out there.
I will keep you all posted

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Joburble said:
You have to ask the question why does the guy want to swap his Husky for your KDX
Excellent point.
Obviously, the Husky owner would rather have your KDX. The big question now is: would you rather have his Husky?

jonooffler

Jun 10, 2009
Te450 Vs Kdx220

Well the votes are in and I have decided on the bike,in the end it was a review that I found on a web site that made my mind up, in 2004 Cycle world magazine did an 11 bike test and the Husky TE450 came out top (http://www.cagivausa.com/Media/CycleWorld/cw-6-04.pdf).
So thats it, I have decided and it's with a heavy heart that I have to say good bye to the Husky TE450 and welcome home to my KDX220.The reason that I went back to the KDX well read the article and you will see why.I can't wait to get a new piston and pipe for her.It feels good to come home ,if just for a bit longer.
Jono
Bath Somerset The UK

Top Bottom