renshaii

May 11, 2003
Hey guys. First off i'd like to say great site, been browsing the forums here for about a year, although not much posting, the forums here have been a great resource.

Ok, looking at upgrading the current ride from a 93 yamaha wr 250 to something newer. Have been doing a bit of research on the ktm 200, probably the exc. I like the idea of the smaller chassis of the 200 and the light weight, although I have yet to get a ride on one. I had some concerns with the power delivery of the 200, and will i be able to lug it around all day if need be without boiling over? Longlong hill climb stretches? How finicky is the jetting? Rides with a few thousand feet of elevation gain are common. I ride 90% trails 10% dunes, and 105 degree summer days are not uncommon here in southeast idaho.

My rides here can vary from tight woods, to long hill climbs, to wide open 5th gear fire roads, to the occasional stint at the sand dunes. Should i consider a 250 or 300 exc as viable options?-i really like the idea of a smaller lighter bike, and all the rider feedback i hear on the 200 is fantastic-although most of it comes from eastern woods type riders.

I ride with 5 kdx 220s, 1 honda xr 400, and 1 wr 250f if it's any indication of the rides we do. I have riden the 250f and the kdx before; i believe the kdx is an option, but just can't get the picture of an orange bike in the garage out of my head, and the 250f was a bit tall and heavy. I am 20 years old, 5'8", 160 lbs and am in good physical condition. I have been riding for just over two years, but have quite a bit of saddle time, and am evolving into a fairly aggresive rider. Possible alternatives to a 200exc or kdx? Local dealers are limited to the japanese 4 and ktm, so that is a factor. I have read multiple kdx vs ktm posts, so i am not trying to create another one. My budget would probably allow for a 200 probably in the 2001-2002 range, depending, are there any large diferences between 2000 and 2003 model excs?

Thanks a bunch in advance, and sorry for the long post,
pat

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Coming off a wr the kdx200, wont be much fun you will be near its capabilities very soon since you say you are an aggressive rider! Personallyi would go with the 250, and if you can i would get the GasGas ec250 and order all your spares mail order! They are an amazing bike!

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
just buy a newer 250 2s, and all your problems will be solved

Top Bottom