dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Get a 1" or 1.5" (I used a 1") holesaw and drill it out. Pull the cover, pull the foam and drill it's that easy and you've got a seat that will work at no extra cost. Overall it's very easy to do, pull it all like I said then drill the fam from the underside, not all the way through just enough. Pull the faom plugs and remount the foam. I drilled mine at a spacing of two holes side-by-side spaced in the back, three holes mid part (fat part of seat) and two and then one at the front. just keep the holes in rows from back to front. It you make it to soft, just go aftermarket.

kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
hey, if you're sitting down, you're going too slow!

My 450E seat is a brick. I'll probably do the "drill holes" thing when I get around to getting a decent stapler.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i have the sdg tall "firm"; calling it "firm" is a bit of an understatement, it is like riding on a rail. i like it that way (i hate squishy seats), but i don't do multi-day rides on it or anything. it is not a place you want to spend a lot of time.

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
EE tall soft, helped stretch my legs out and kept them much fresher after a 5 hour ride.

..and to those that say if yer sitting, yer going to slow, I don't think that's always the case. Speaking as someone that used to roadrace, I'm definately faster sitting down on alot of terrain, especially corners and high speed stuff. Only time I'm faster standing is in the real bumpy sections...

but that's a whole nother thread ;-)

dthoms

Oct 6, 2002
I changed to the SDG seat also, it is both taller and softer. I have an 02 250 EXC. I wanted a taller seat more than a softer seat though. I stand a lot when I ride so I prefer a harder seat over a soft seat anyway. It's easier to get up off of a hard seat than a soft seat. It is also easier to move around on a hard seat. The SDG seat I bought wasn't a perfect fit I had to take a dremel and oval out the hole on the right side to make it fit, other than that it's works fine. I thought it was a bargin for the money.

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
The hardest part of the seat is toward the rear fender. Drilling won't help that a bit. It simply needs thicker, firmer foam.

Last edited:

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
If you want to go fast then leave the stock seat on so that you can move around on the bike. If you don't want to go fast, change the seat or buy a KDX. ;)

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
jackpiner,

Occasionally guys blow in and try to start something but we're to smart for that! You'll get a better response over at the KDX forum, they eat that stuff up, and they love those squishy kdx seats.

No monkeybutt here :moon: See!

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
FWIW, I've ridden both the SDG & EE seats. SDG on my 98, and an EE on my 99. After a 3 hr trailride with the EE seat, I'd say it is a bit cushier than the SDG. My SDG never really got any softer. It still was a big improvement over the stocker, though. I sit & stand both equally, maybe sit more. So I like my seats a little more cushy for my tushy.

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
SDG makes the EE seat.

I went through about 3 SDG seats before I finally got one that fit right,and everyone of them seemed to feel harder or softer than the other.Very inconsistent in the fit and finish from one seat to another.

Last edited:

Blackie Dave

Sep 26, 2002
keep the stock seat. go to nashbar or performance bike & get a pair of bicycle riding shorts with a gel-pad in them. you can move around on the seat. and your butt will allow you to sit.

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
The gel seat in the bicycle pants are just like the ktm seat---minimal. Besides that the waistlines are super tight and uncomfortable. I'd just rather put one inch compressed foam in my riding pants. That works for me.

DurtJunkee

Mar 18, 2002
Got my SDG Tall/Soft in the mail yesterday. Installed it...no problems. The fit is not perfect but it's not terrible either.

What I noticed most is the MUCH improved riding position. The high seat allows easier movement to the front of the bike, and it seems this should greatly improve cornering (i hope).

Haven't ridden on it yet, but will post when I do...

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
FWIW, I just read (take it with a grain of salt) that SDG does manufactur the seats for EE, but to EE specs. I swear I can feel a real difference between the two. I still have the 250 in my garage, just sold it to my brother in law, so I can do instant side-by-side comparos.

And they'll both be at DW for anyone who wants to take them for a spin or just hop on at camp.

DurtJunkee

Mar 18, 2002
Originally posted by DurtJunkee
Got my SDG Tall/Soft in the mail yesterday. Installed it...no problems. The fit is not perfect but it's not terrible either.

What I noticed most is the MUCH improved riding position. The high seat allows easier movement to the front of the bike, and it seems this should greatly improve cornering (i hope).

Haven't ridden on it yet, but will post when I do...

Rode it hard yesterday. Worth Every Penny. Comfort much improved. I'm completely stoked with the new Riding Position. I can slide up on the tank much easier in the turns. Starts are better. I'm not constantly fighting to stay in an "attack" position. The seat does it for me.

My assessment: If you don't have one, go get one!!!!

cheers

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
I've had my 125SX coming up on 6 years and the seat is still the same as when it was new. As some of the other post stated stand up it will not only help you bike handling but your fitness as well. Believe me I sit behind a desk all week I need all the help I can get.

Top Bottom