Sapper33

Apr 15, 2007
I've been looking at a '91 KX250. The price seems about right, but the owner mentioned a few things, so I figured I'd ask.

I've been told the Clutch Basket might need to be replaced in the nearish future. I phoned a dealer and apperantly they are discontinued by Kawasaki.

Once of the compression screws on the fork is stripped. Dealer wants $85 for the top cap of the fork.

There is play in the rear brake pedal. I was told you can't get replacment bushings, so the guy told me he was planning on machining a new one(when he got around to it).

Finally the rear disc is dished, and would need to be replaced

How tough would any of these repairs be, and would they be a big deterant against buying the bike? I've got a thread in the "what bike" section, but figured this was a little too specific.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
For the brake petal, I do not believe it has a bushing, it has a special bolt that goes through the petal. The petal is aluminum so you will probably have to replace the petal. A new rotor will probably be at least 100.00 if you can find one. The basket you may be able to find a used aftermarket one along with the fork part on the auction site. It sounds like it may be more trouble than its worth unless your getting it at a VERY low price. Also ask your self if the bike is worth taking the time and money get it in proper working order.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I bought a 2000 KX with full of troubles, dumped plenty of money on it, and sold it with still full of troubles. So yeah I don't recommend anyone buying a bike with troubles as they give you a clear indication as to how well the bike was maintained. Look for a another bike.

Sapper33

Apr 15, 2007
that's pretty much what I wanted to know. And seeing that no: it's not a super low price, I guess I'll keep shopping. Thanks

Top Bottom