74saki

Oct 28, 2005
I recently picked up a 1974 Kasaki Ks 125, with only 1960 miles on it.The piston was supposed to be seized, but it was not. When I began to tear down the motor to see what exactly was going on I discoverd that the piston moved and was not stuck, but that something was blocking the crankshaft from rotating an entire revolution. When I took the cylinder jug offer I found that the lead weights that were used to balance the crank shaft had lodged itself between the connecting rod and the crank shaft. After I removed the obstruction I also noticed that there is quite alot of play on the connecting rod (up and down). I am wondering what I can do to solve this problem. I also would like to know where I could find parts for this bike. I have already purchased a 25 over piston and ring set.

Sorry for the long post

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Sounds like its time to have the crank rebuilt and the weights reattached. As for part, try that auction site by the bay or see what your local Kawasaki dealer can order or my have in stock.

Good luck with your project.

Gid

Oct 19, 2005
yep that play is your main crank bearing (connecting rod to bottom wrist pin) as for parts thersa few places just serch the web but one that is handy is bikebandit . com

74saki

Oct 28, 2005
I gonna stop by my kawasaki dealership monday and see what they say about the crank and reattaching the weights. I guess its not to bad for only paying $30 for the complete bike

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
BEWARE OF OLD BIKES WITH LOW MILAGE. There is a reason. I am always suspect of old bikes that look great with low milage that dont run. The reason is usally the same. They are lemons for one reason or another. Any bike older than 1980 with less than 2k Miles, dirt or street that is not running should be left to be. Getting dealer parts will be hard unless the bike shares parts with a long lived line. Ie Yamaha RD, LC, 2 strokes. Most lemons dont. getting the crank balanced with a new pistion will be hard. Maybe weigh the weights and the old piston parts against the new to see what the differance is. These parts are dynamicly balanced so even a static balance is just a ball park stab.
Basicly, you may not need the weights if they are fairly light, the new lighter piston may be ok and you can use bearings and rods from a newer application.
Maybe?
Or maybe take your $30 bike, part it out on the site by the bay????

74saki

Oct 28, 2005
JasonJ said:
BEWARE OF OLD BIKES WITH LOW MILAGE. There is a reason. I am always suspect of old bikes that look great with low milage that dont run. The reason is usally the same. They are lemons for one reason or another. Any bike older than 1980 with less than 2k Miles, dirt or street that is not running should be left to be. Getting dealer parts will be hard unless the bike shares parts with a long lived line. Ie Yamaha RD, LC, 2 strokes. Most lemons dont. getting the crank balanced with a new pistion will be hard. Maybe weigh the weights and the old piston parts against the new to see what the differance is. These parts are dynamicly balanced so even a static balance is just a ball park stab.
Basicly, you may not need the weights if they are fairly light, the new lighter piston may be ok and you can use bearings and rods from a newer application.
Maybe?
Or maybe take your $30 bike, part it out on the site by the bay????

In the next couple of weeks I am going to tear down the entire motor, split the cases and see what exactly is going on.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
74saki said:
In the next couple of weeks I am going to tear down the entire motor, split the cases and see what exactly is going on.

Keep us posted on the out come!

74saki

Oct 28, 2005
Some one Please Help

Ok I bought a 1974 Kawasaki KS 125A, and am looking to rebuild the motor. I am looking for parts on the site by the bay, and would like to know if my bike is an F6 or an F7? or just a KS125?

-Thanks

Top Bottom