ALYZ

Apr 30, 2020
Central Alabama
I have a new 2020 YZ125X. I want a printed shop manual for when I eventually have to fix stuff. Here's what I already know:
1) The "X" is a new model
This is true, but 99% of it is the same as a regular YZ.
2) "you should have gotten one with bike"
This is 1/2 false. Now you get an "owner's service manual". Two birds, one stone. Great owner's manual but lacking in detail of repairs.
So here's the simple question:
Since the YZ models have gone unchanged (other than cosmetics) for so long, how far back, in years, can I go on the existing print manuals? I'm thinking 2005 and later would still be accurate for basic stuff like fixing a water pump or power valve. Just want to be sure I buy a manual that's still relevant.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
I just read about this bike over breakfast (morning bowl of gruel). The YZ125 MX version has not changed in years. For the 125X Yamaha added the 18 rear wheel and kickstand. And the tank is the same, small for longer trail rides though. Then, If I remember the internal changes correctly, there is a change in combustion, and the power valve, and how it is timed. I believe there was a change in the setup of the shock and fork but do not remember what. Since this is a newer bike I am not certain if the actual shop manual is available yet. I would guess, and do not quote me on this, but for most of the parts and maintenance the shop manual for the MX would help.

Mully

ALYZ

Apr 30, 2020
Central Alabama
I just read about this bike over breakfast (morning bowl of gruel). The YZ125 MX version has not changed in years. For the 125X Yamaha added the 18 rear wheel and kickstand. And the tank is the same, small for longer trail rides though. Then, If I remember the internal changes correctly, there is a change in combustion, and the power valve, and how it is timed. I believe there was a change in the setup of the shock and fork but do not remember what. Since this is a newer bike I am not certain if the actual shop manual is available yet. I would guess, and do not quote me on this, but for most of the parts and maintenance the shop manual for the MX would help.

Mully
Exactly my thoughts. But the question is which years would be applicable? Obviously a 1988 manual is no good. What year would begin to be accurate?
2005 and later?

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
That is a good question. I do not remember when this version of the 125 went on the market. I guess a search on the interweb would get you in the ball park or your dealer for sure.

Mully

Top Bottom