Model Year Determination (Yamaha YZ 250)

ottawabrad

Feb 18, 2007
Hello All,

I purchased a YZ 250 from a guy who had it in a barn for over 10 years and lost the registration...I know I know...sounds like a stolen bike...however I had my local police department run the vin and its clean. Here is the problem...he wasn't sure if it was an 1984 or 1985. I can't seem to find one that is exactly the same. Is there a good determination or distiction between years? For example the rad is on the triple tree (one single up front not a split).

Thanks for any help you can provide. I needs some engine parts and don't want to order the wrong ones...

Brad

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
There should be a tag on the opposite side of the steering stem from the VIN that will have a date of manufacture and some random information about the bike.

It appears an 84 is drum brakes all around, the 85 had a front disk.

rohleder149

Oct 11, 2006
call your local yamaha dealer with the VIN. they can look up the year very easily....also gives you a chance to get to know and build a relationship with them

kingbrian

Jul 20, 2006
sounds like an 82 to me... for 250's i beleive the radiator was behind the number plate only one year on the 250.. and the 125 for 81 and 82... the 250 was red and white and yellow and black from what ive seen... run yer vin to be sure but you check out www.bikepics.com :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom