rwhitlock

Dec 11, 2002
Does anyone know if there are any motocross schools in Utah? I have never raced, but want to learn.

I hate to admit it, but I am afraid of crashing on jumps. I'm not sure about just going out and following someone. I like the turns and whoops...

I was hoping that I could learn about body position, weight distribution, preloading of suspension, etc.. before I try some jumping.

Any advice or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Rod

cyprice

Mar 2, 2003
The 1st Gary Semics video does a good job covering the basics of cornering, body position, jumping braking and whoops. It did a good job of fixing some of my flaws in the basics. I know Rick Johnson does a school every year in cedar city in the spring. His schedule is on www.supercross.com
Cy

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
Beau Riddle and Scott Neilson of BEBO Sports do three organized schools a year in the SLC area. They both have impressive racing resumes. I think they're done with all three for '03, but are available for private instruction. I sent four kids ranging in age from 7 to 15 through their program this past summer and they got a lot out of it.

Beau can be reached at 801-982-0484.

Dirty fender

Feb 13, 2005
To Rod

Dude i know how u feel. I don't race but i Ride for fun. I have been riding for 6 years and found that jumps need to be taken in baby steps. First go off a little jump, Then build up. The position thing i can't help with. I hade to find these out on my own. Don't afraid of crashing. U will regret it later!!
Over and out
Dirty fender : :cool:

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
Wow. Old thread.

The way most riders learn is to go with other guys that are better than them and pay attention to what they do. There are more "academic" aspects like timing, clutch work, etc. but a lot of it is just going for it with some information. This is why you ask the guy who clears the 60 foot jump what gear he was in and then follow him around. You have a lot more information about how fast you should be going that could help you avoid injury.

gl

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
Dirty fender said:
Do u race
??

I have been riding tracks for years but, have yet to officially enter a race. My first will be this spring - probably at Delta as I am less worried about obstacles there and can focus more on timing corners,etc.

Anyone who wants to practice together this spring to get ready for their first season are welcome to join me. I go to a variety of dirfferent tracks so I can meet you pretty much anywhere (Tooele, Jordan, Delta, Price, etc). It's always nice to go with a group you know so you can have someone observe what your doing and get some pointers.

LMK if yall want to organize some track days.

mx

fnengineer

Apr 30, 2004
motoxpress,

I will be racing delta April 30th but I am always looking for someone to go to the tracks with. Let me know...I need a track riding partner.

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
I was thinking about doing the April 30th race myself but, I think I will pass as I have not had enough time to get down to Delta this year.

I am always up for going with folks. Let me know when you want to get together and where.

-George

DJ_29

Feb 24, 2006
K so I know this sounds totally lame, But I was wondering if you guys can give me a few hints on where good places for a beginner to go riding are. I have had my bike for a while, and don't go with people much so i need a place where this chick can ride on her own, any help???

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
If you are just getting started on the bike, I recommend finding a place with wide open terrain mixedi n with some hills and other obstacles. 5 Mile Pass is one of my favorite areas that fits this description.

If you are in the Salt Lake area, the Jordan River park is also interesting. They have some trails that meander around and allow you to just comfortable with riding and turning and following lines, etc.

-mx

DJ_29

Feb 24, 2006
Thanks,yea I went out there about 3 weeks ago cause it was sunny, bad idea the mud was crazy. So this past weekend I just took it to the dunes and it was perfect!!

DJ_29

Feb 24, 2006
The sand was great down there, and nothing but clear skys. If you can think of any other places that are dry and good this time of year I would appreciate it.

rwhitlock

Dec 11, 2002
I do a quite a bit of riding up Hobble Creek and AF canyons. Of course, that's in the summer months. I have been out to 5-mile area and thats fun too.

I want to hit Delta and spend the day there riding the track. I'm pretty sure if I do that I will get the hang of the jumps and conquer some fears.

-- Rod

Top Bottom