BigSwole

Jun 8, 2004
wow I jumped on 2 different 250's today and I'm shocked at just how much power I have gotten used to.I know my 500 is a power house.one thing I did not like was the power band on those two.It hit quick where my 500 just kinda rolls into the powerband.the 250's rap out very fast.

Also they did not feel as stable as mine does.maybe Im just not use to them.some people that ride 250's think people like me are nutz for riding a 500...I say to those people they are the ones that are crazy LOL.that quick hit I exp today was just mind blowing.

I was going to go to a smaller bike but after today I say....uh.....NO WAY!! ha ha

1 mo' thang....I am in noway putting down any 250.They seem great.please dont take my post as a put down on them.

500guy

Aug 4, 2004
I'll take the 250

I went from a real 500 (i.e. a cr eating KTM 500) :laugh: to a 300 and now have settled on 250s. I disagree, the 500s had a very narrow powerband and my last 250 ('03 KTm 250sx) had usable power everywhere. I don't miss the 500s a bit, especially not starting them. :bang:

BigSwole

Jun 8, 2004
500guy said:
I went from a real 500 (i.e. a cr eating KTM 500) :laugh: to a 300 and now have settled on 250s. I disagree, the 500s had a very narrow powerband and my last 250 ('03 KTm 250sx) had usable power everywhere. I don't miss the 500s a bit, especially not starting them. :bang:

LOL a cr eating KTM......mine starts on the 1st kick everytime.powerband narrow?? dunno about that one ethier.the bike I have was one owner and he was 62 years old and never ran the bike.I wish I could post pics,cuz this bike is like is in awesome shape.maybe when I wear it out,it might be a hard starter.I also have about15 gallons of fuel through it and have yet to foul a plug.tomorrow I will burn up another gallon or two.

Mike_socal

Oct 1, 2003
Most likely your 500 is geared higher than the 250 causing the sensation of a broader powerband where as the 250 probably had a lower gearing. Just a guess. Give them similar gearing and then do a comparison.

gowen

Aug 2, 2000
I'm not into my bike is faster threads, but it does take a REAL man/woman to ride a big bore bike and keep with it. Between starting, vibes, arm pump, and controlling the power, I have to say that riding a 500 is a full workout. Some can handle the power and thrashing it provides, some can't. More power to the can't catagory, I will keep my 500,250s, and 125s. Being my 500 (kx) has near deadly power (thanks to Eric's wonderful 520 kit and up-high porting magic, yes I prefer explosion type power 125 like), perfect suspension for the tracks (after alot of work and money), trails and whatever you want to give it. Also, consider the comfort . I will not trade out completely for a 250, no wife, so nobody to say I can't have them all. :-)

To each his own, I ride dirtbikes to have fun, not to brag. I ride what I feel comfortable with and so does everybody else. Like I said, I prefer them all and would be happy with any dirtbike.

Feb 28, 2004
Whats the point of this thread? To talk about how cool and how fast your 1989 bike is and how no one elses compares?? :worship: This is the type of thread, in my opinion, that should get locked or deleted. It serves no purpose. Sorry if this post sounds harsh. Mike

BigSwole

Jun 8, 2004
Mike's 2003 YZ250 said:
Whats the point of this thread? To talk about how cool and how fast your 1989 bike is and how no one elses compares?? :worship: This is the type of thread, in my opinion, that should get locked or deleted. It serves no purpose. Sorry if this post sounds harsh. Mike

yea your post does sound harsh.I was in no way putting down any 250.Just saying how use to the 500 I've become.this is not a "my bike is faster there your bike thread".again Mike like I said.... it's crazy at what you get use to when It comes to bikes.If you dont like my thread or dont quiet understand,then by all means delete my post and lock it down.

Feb 28, 2004
I know you werent putting down 250s, but your post just came across like you were bragging or something. I am sorry for replying harshly before. In the end we all share a common hobby. :ride: Ride on! Mike :cool:

BigSwole

Jun 8, 2004
Mike's 2003 YZ250 said:
I know you werent putting down 250s, but your post just came across like you were bragging or something. I am sorry for replying harshly before. In the end we all share a common hobby. :ride: Ride on! Mike :cool:

Not trying to brag.....Your 100% spot on about the common hobby.Riding bikes and pumping iron are the only two things in life LOL ok I know there are more............dont bust my nutz for that one. :bang:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom