MY CR250 JUST DIED, NOT CEASED!!! help.

willbegood

Mar 31, 2006
It is a 1985 Honda CR250, was running well and just died as if ran out of fuel. Spark appears good (but not sure how good it should be).

Carburettor appears to be clean and has new parts fitted.
Good compression, and reed valves (honda checked), New airfilter, fuel filter and new choke idle starter fitted.

Can't get even get it to fire now. Have tried bumping it as well down a big hill and that didnt work.

Any suggestions would be great please as i am really stuck and its driving me nuts.
:bang:

kamchuka

Mar 30, 2006
should be

fat blue spark. from the ground i would:
replace plug, br8es or 9 i always run 8's, the r is important. check spark again, drain float bowl to see if feul is getting in the carb, if so you probably have pluged jet.
is the plug wet when you pull it? if so its a spark or bad fuel issue, prob spark.
i would check comp. anyways, look in your manual for specs should be over 120 psi.
if prob persists you'll have to go into checking the elec. system, your manual should describe that as well.
hope this helps

willbegood

Mar 31, 2006
thank you

Have drained and checked all the jets in the carb, fuel must be getting through because it stinks after kicking or trying to bump a lot.

The spark was blue but not all that good, i thought it might have been the contact i was using to test it.

Thanks for your advise will try the plug replacement, its annoying though only i dont have a manual to go from, trying to get one from someone but no luck as yet.

Thank you, i will let you know how i get on. :cool:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If the stator is going bad, you can still get a spark but the motor won't run.

Also, perhaps the woodruff key has sheared. This key holds the flywheel in proper alignment on the end of the crankshaft. If the flywheel shifts out of position, you can still get a nice spark, but it will be coming at the wrong time. You will have to pull the flywheel to inspect. A new key should be inexpensive.

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
dirt bike dave said:
If the stator is going bad, you can still get a spark but the motor won't run.

Also, perhaps the woodruff key has sheared. This key holds the flywheel in proper alignment on the end of the crankshaft. If the flywheel shifts out of position, you can still get a nice spark, but it will be coming at the wrong time. You will have to pull the flywheel to inspect. A new key should be inexpensive.

For me, when my woodruff key sheared, I didn't get spark at all. I dunno if it would be a woodruff key in this scenario, but they're only like 10cents a piece where we got them last time.

mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
maybe your flux capacitor went south?

willbegood

Mar 31, 2006
Sweet, you lot are all great, thanks for all your suggestions, ill get back to you early part of next week when i can get the bits and the rain stops. :)

B-R8D_Blonde

Feb 4, 2024
I had the same problem, same bike, same year! It was my carburetor, it stuck. I ended up getting a new one after all the headache! Good luck! (*could very well be that flux capacitor or the glow plug! Lol )

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom