My cr500 is still hard to start! please help

My 96 cr500 is hard to start. It hasn't always been this way. I got p.o. and took it to the Honda dealer. Everybody there had their mouths hung open. This kid said he was the only certified mechanic there. Still had zits. He said the valves might need adjusting. The owner came out when I got it fired up and said they don't work on them. His reason was. They don't have the tools. I wasn't gonna leave it anyway after the certified mechanic told me that shit.

RM_guy

Moderator /
Damn Yankees
Funny, but not so funny experience with the dealer "mechanic". Maybe his next suggestion was to replace the muffler bearings.

Did you read the pervious posts? There are a lot of good suggestions. My go to on a hard starting 2 stroke is the reeds. If they aren't sealing well it will be hard to start.

Reeds are new. Carb is new and checked out. It fires up cold if I kick the SHIT out of it. The "CERTIFIED MECHANIC" was going to show me how to start it. He barely could turn it over. I've had the flywheel off to put a crank seal in. The manual has something about a timing light procedure but it has a plate on the bottom of the stator to keep it in one position. I saw something about adjusting the flywheel pickup (don't know if that's what it's called). It looks nonadjustable.

Some how I skipped a bunch of the previous posts. Good info. I rung a seized crew off that holds the pickup to the damn stator plate. I was attempting to see if the air gap was adjustable. It was on the wide side. Doesn't appear to be adjustable.. In the third picture you can see the slot in the plate. the problem is the bolt that holds it on is threaded through the into the plate in the slot.. Maybe I totally missing some thing. Now to get that hard ass super seized screw out. I have a high dollar service honda ignition and the flywheel on it doesn't have timing mark on it like the stock one. I' think I'm going to put the stocker back on and see. The fsm says to do it after it's been taken apart. Then I'm gonna do the stating fluid. If any of you have done the timing light method. I would appreciate info.
IMG_0997.JPG
IMG_0992 (1).JPG
IMG_0993.JPG

RM_guy

Moderator /
Damn Yankees
I think you are on the right track but I believe the pickup is what is adjustable, not the stator. I may be completely wrong but you will know once you get the seized screw out. I hate having to do that.
...and nice band aid! I had one just like it last month, with the extra reinforcement tape and all!

I think you are on the right track but I believe the pickup is what is adjustable, not the stator. Stator, pickup, exciter coil and ignition coil checked out in specs on the SH ignition. No fire. That leaves the unobtainium cdi. So I'm gonna Put my stock parts back on and see what happens. It was working when I took it off 15 years ago but I had to replace the pickup on the stocker with a after market chineseium. If I still don't get fire. IDK?

RM_guy

Moderator /
Damn Yankees
Here's a long shot but I did have this happen to me before. There could be a broken or shorted out wire in the harness someplace. It is a long a tedious process but if you ring out all the wires between connectors to verify continuity you might find an open. Mine was between the CDI connector and the stator. I ran an extremal wire along the harness and it fixed my problem. That was after I replaced the stator ($200!!!).