My Yamaha TT-R 225 needs engine work

jeeptires

Jan 24, 2006
I have a 2002 Yamaha TT-R 225. I have kept up with taking care of it, with the exception that I don't ride it much at all in the winter. I keep it in my garage and it has never had any major impacts or overreving. The last few times I got it out it hesitated a little bit on take-off. I ran some engine tuner and carb cleaner through it but it didn't help. When the engine idles it sounds fine, but when I start to rev it up it hesitates and takes a long time to get the rpm's up. If I am actually riding it it has instances where it seems to "miss." The bike will slow down and then keep going. There is also a little bit of smoke at idle and when reving it up. It almost sounds like the timing is off, but I don't know how that is possible on a one-cylinder engine. I have taken the carb out, disassembled it, cleaned all of the parts, reassembled it and put it back into the bike, but it still has the same problems. I also tried changing the spark plug, but that didn't work either. If anybody has seen this before or knows what might be going on please let me know. Any and all information is greatly appriciated.
Thanx,
Travis

Last edited:

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
It sounds like carb issues. I know you say you cleaned it but it sounds like you may have missed a couple passages or something. The best way to clean a carb is to pull it down completely, and blast it out first with carb cleaner, and then with compressed air. It is very important to make sure all the circuits are completely clean. also make sure both the pilot and main jets are absolutely spotless. Replace them if in doubt. Ultrasonic cleaners are even better if you have one, but very few of us do. If it is really bad, a dunk tank in carb cleaner is the best way to remove old, stubborn deposits, but it doesn't sound like yours is this bad.

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
how olds the gas ? more than 2 months and i would change it out (IMHO i would change it if it had these syptoms and was only a month old)

Top Bottom