Never raced! I promise!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Chili said:
That's pretty much sums it up for me Joe, the oil still looks good when it comes out but I have no idea if that equates to everything is good and it just didn't discolor. The cost factor of changing it at 2.5 hours versus 4 hours is so insignificant and it makes me feel better. At 2.5 hour intervals my son's bike which just rolled 64 hours this weekend would have seen 25 oil changes at 2.5 hours per, or 16 at 4 hours per. So let's round off to 10 extra oil changes in a season and a half that's about $35 total for the peace of mind.

Another thought is your Honda has separate oil where we are using the same oil for the entire engine/gearbox, which makes me a bit more nervous about contamination from clutch debris.
I guess when you look at it that way it's really not worth the risk. I never even think of the guys running engines that share trans oil. That would make me extremely nervous too. Now that I have some other opinions from some of you guys who obviously know what you're doing I may stay with the 3 hour schedule on the Rotella. At 9 bucks a gallon it's not really a considerable expense. Just out of curiosity, how often are you changing oil filters?

rpm12505

~SPONSOR~
Sep 25, 2005
Rich Rohrich said:
Do a quick search here or on any forum on earth. It's been regularly documented that the RMZ250 has proven to be the most unreliable design to come out of Japan in an incredibly long time. The stresses that come from racing only exacerbate this problem.

Even good maintenance can't overcome a poor design or manufacturing.

Is that all RMZ250's or just the ones that were half kawi?

Ok Ok I'll search it......geeez

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
_JOE_ said:
Just out of curiosity, how often are you changing oil filters?

I usually change out the filter every third oil change, so somewhere between 6-9 hours depending on where the oil changes fell on the clock.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
rpm12505 said:
Is that all RMZ250's or just the ones that were half kawi?

Ok Ok I'll search it......geeez

I know Rich really doesn't like the RMZ's and I have spent considerable time keeping track of issues with them because of conversations here.

From 04-06 I would never consider anyone buying one. We have an 07 and it had significant clutch issues that can be resolved with a few parts that Suzuki added to the 08 clutch. For 08 the issues appears to be resolved. Based on watching internet chatter I would suggest the 07 and 08 RMZ250 has as few or less issues than any other brand 250F out there.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I would never shy away from a race bike, but chances are it has more hours on it unless the rider has a practice bike and a race bike (I'm speaking for woods racers, from what I've seen around here MXers don't put as many hours on their bikes). For me, I ride 3-5 days per week plus racing on usually 2 weekends per month. And each ride is usually 2-3 hours, races are around 3 hours. That said, I do maintain my bike as best as my budget allows (plastic is stitched, scratched, but still useable!). I wouldn't shy away from a race bike, but remember that serious racers usually ride a lot, and hours on the bike do count.

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
Rich Rohrich said:
Do a quick search here or on any forum on earth. It's been regularly documented that the RMZ250 has proven to be the most unreliable design to come out of Japan in an incredibly long time. The stresses that come from racing only exacerbate this problem.

Even good maintenance can't overcome a poor design or manufacturing.

Yikes! I did not know that. Just for you, I'm going to go to every search engine known to man and run multiple RMZ250 searches. I won't read a single article, but I will search like a mad man! ;)

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
Rich Rohrich said:
Anyone who buys a used RMZ250 that was raced needs to have their head examined.
i dont think that was meant for me rich but since we are on the topic? my head was examined right after i hit the tree in dec :whoa: and its a 450 anyways :nener:

rpm12505

~SPONSOR~
Sep 25, 2005
Chili said:
I know Rich really doesn't like the RMZ's and I have spent considerable time keeping track of issues with them because of conversations here.

From 04-06 I would never consider anyone buying one. We have an 07 and it had significant clutch issues that can be resolved with a few parts that Suzuki added to the 08 clutch. For 08 the issues appears to be resolved. Based on watching internet chatter I would suggest the 07 and 08 RMZ250 has as few or less issues than any other brand 250F out there.

Thanks Chili
I had hoped they hadn't gotten that bad. Not that we're in the market for a new bike, too many other priorities ( work, girlfriend and saving for college). Haven't even raced yet this year :(

How are you guys doing?

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
All is well here thanks, My son is getting back up to speed slowly after all his injuries and he is racing every weekend. Sadly I spend far more time behind a desk or camera nowadays than on a bike.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I have been looking at some used 2 stroke 250's, for myself. As long as the tranny is in good shape, is all I care about the engine. 300 to 400 dollars and its in shape, and I know where its at. Its the rest of the bike that is important to me. Painted frames are easy to see what has happened, paint coming off welds. Straight subframe is not a big deal. Spokes, rims, hubs and linkage tell a lot also. The most neglected parts are the suspension. And it can get pretty pricey replacing fork and shock parts! Much less valving and springs. Realistically, even more than fresh tires every week, fresh suspension would be sweat. Ideal targets to buy used dirtbikes from? NONE. I still have visions of some guy pull starting his bike with a quad, back tire wore off, chain skipping on the sprocket, and smoke billowing out, of a 4 stroke. And never has been raced. A lot of people just do not push as hard in a race as out riding. The bike as a whole, is in "better" shape from a racer that respects their bike. They have to, no trophies for DNF's!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
inotocracy said:
Yikes! I did not know that. Just for you, I'm going to go to every search engine known to man and run multiple RMZ250 searches. I won't read a single article, but I will search like a mad man! ;)

Whatever makes you happy. ;)

rpm12505

~SPONSOR~
Sep 25, 2005
Chili said:
All is well here thanks, My son is getting back up to speed slowly after all his injuries and he is racing every weekend. Sadly I spend far more time behind a desk or camera nowadays than on a bike.

Sorry to here about injuries and desk time, but great to here the lad racing every weekend good luck to him. And your camera time doesn't seem to be wasted. Your another one in this comic strip that has awesome talent. Be well D.

P

flogga400

Nov 12, 2001
Just once I'd like to see a for sale add that said rode as hard as possible, raced every opportunity, and occasionally put away wet, but usually serviced, and new parts added as needed. Then you would know the guy was straight up.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
flogga400 said:
Just once I'd like to see a for sale add that said rode as hard as possible, raced every opportunity, and occasionally put away wet, but usually serviced, and new parts added as needed. Then you would know the guy was straight up.

I tried one like that...something to the effect "raced, crashed often, and very well maintained"

No inquiries.

Now I list everything "low easy hours by novice rider"

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
truespode said:
And that is more accurate for you anyway :)
Well, the only gray area in my first description is "raced" but those were organized events that I attended while putting those "low easy" hours on the bike.

Then again, I'm the bonehead that keeps buying your used bikes :laugh:
I guess it only takes one sucker....I mean buyer...to sell a used bike.

By the way, you need an enduro kinda bike?? :)

delraich1323

Apr 23, 2009
Chili said:
I always laugh when the first question anyone asks me about a bike we are selling is "has it been raced?" Tell them yes and they are no longer interested, they'd rather buy a farm bike that the kid hasn't raced OR changed the oil and filters in since he got it versus one that has been maintained to the utmost degree.

plus you get a bunch of cool aftermarket stuff...its probably cases specific find out why he needs to sell it how old it is if it had another previous owner...

motocross3

Jan 30, 2008
Would it be a good idea to buy a racer's practice bike. I'm moving up to a 125 and he's selling his practice bike. Its a 2006 YZ125 for 2500. Do you think thats a good deal.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Bring it to Redbud 4th of July weekend, And I will tell you. Almost 4 year old race bike. Does it vibrate? Hows it look, ride straight, smell the oil? Hows the compression? Radiator full, not bent up? Could be a really good deal? Is the guy fast? What class?

NoSlowBike

May 28, 2009
I can tell you from experiance that it doesn't matter either way. It all depends on the person that owned it. Doesn't have to be a race bike or a trail bike, it's all about the owner. I have had bikes that would go a good 100 hours and never have a drain plug pulled. To this day I won't change any oil with 5 hours on it. I have seen race bikes pounded beyond belief and still never have the maintainance that you guys are talking about. After working on heavy equiptment for 10 years you see some pretty amaizing stuff. I am not saying that maintainance doesn't matter but even a well maintained bike can take a crap an hour after you get it home.

Phil

jeffmort

Dec 15, 2007
I have bought two bikes (CRF450r's) from two different race teams and both of the bikes did very well for me (no problems as long as I owned them).
The first was a Factory Connection bike. It was professionally maintained by FC mechanics and never gave me a problem.
The second (my current bike) is a Troy Lee Designs riders practice bike. This one was nice because the suspension that the pro rider used on the bike was all high end stuff that was taken off by Troy Lee when they sold it to me and replaced by the unused original suspension so the suspension had 0 hours on it. The motor and more was serviced (piston, rings, valves, new clutch, etc.) before I picked it up. I have a direct line to the mechanic that was assigned to the bike since day one so that is nice as well.
The short story is that bike had been ridden hard by a Pro rider but it was also properly maintained which was the key. I knew what I was getting into and was comfortable with who I bought it from.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
If the guy is sketchy about if is raced or not, what else is sketchy on? Chances are good, if he does race, he finishes pretty far back, in c class.

Hey - don't pick on us slow guys - we do maintenance too!

Top Bottom