griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
Well my brand new '07 250xc-w was delivered to me yesterday, looks nice but I see a couple of issues and I haven't even started it up yet.

1. When compressing the rear suspension, it sounds like the shock spring is making a bunch of racket, like it is rubbing on something, but it doesn't look like it is rubbing on the air box or boot? Do these things make noise against the inner plastic piece that is around the shock just above the seal head, until they get broke in maybe?

2. By looking at this bike, I hope I never foul a spark plug! It looks like there is no way in H_LL you would ever be able to change a plug with out pulling off the tank! What a bitch this would be out on a trail.

3. Over the years I have mainly purchased used bikes for myself. Is it normal for the front forks to feel really stiff until the bike is ridden some?

Probably dumb questions, but I get nervous when I see things like this, having spent this much money. I feel that I got a good deal on the bike, but it is still a lot of money to me.

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
SpeedyManiac said:
Regarding the spark plug, NGK makes a shorty version that is easily changed without removing the tank.
I did just find out about this plug, but the hottest heat range is an 8 and the stock plug for my bike is a 7. I suppose with good jetting it would probably stil work though.

Thanks for the input. :cool:

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
If I remember correctly on NGK plugs a bigger number is colder. So the 8 plug is colder than the 7 stock. They may also make a hotter than stock 7 plug, ie a lower number, but you are probably not going to want to use it for the safety of your bike. Ride safe John

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
Ok, the spring just wasn't seated down properly on the bottom spring collar, popped it into place and the shock noise is now gone! :cool:

I guess I will do some riding and see how much the front forks loosen up. I am sure they are just stiff due to being brand new. ;)

Last edited:

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
John Harris said:
If I remember correctly on NGK plugs a bigger number is colder. So the 8 plug is colder than the 7 stock. They may also make a hotter than stock 7 plug, ie a lower number, but you are probably not going to want to use it for the safety of your bike. Ride safe John
This is the delima, the short plug would be nice for clearance, but I would have to use one heat range cooler than stock.

Top Bottom