Coop

Jan 21, 2000
After selling my 1987 XR250 I have been without a dirtbike but Sunday I went and picked up a 1988 YZ125 for $200 :). This guy is the 3rd owner and they have had it since 1992. It has been stored for the last 3 years, luckily with an empty tank and carb. A new plug, clean air filter, fresh crankcase oil, some pre-mix, and 15 kicks later it was running.

It has a flywheel weight, aftermarket pipe (no name badge but it's not stock) with an answer spark arrestor and barkbusters installed already. So it will be an ok woods bike for me, especially since I will be mostly riding with my two nephews. I have always been a fan of bikes from the late 70's-mid to late 80's I guess since that's the era I grew up in dreaming about those bikes but could never afford, lol.

Anyway here's a crappy picture:

125-3.jpg

Coop

Jan 21, 2000
Thanks. The guy was actually apologizing because it was dirty and the one radiator shroud was cracked. He acted like $200 was a lot. He had other bikes in his garage, this was his last 2 stroke and he wanted rid of it.

I guess I should have pointed out I removed the bark busters when I changed the old nasty grips, but didn't reinstall them yet when I took the picture. And the plastic on the bench is off my wife's RM80, lol.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Very cool Coop!

ysr89

Dec 4, 2007
Cool! I've always been a fan of older bikes. They go pretty cheap sometimes, too. I just picked up an '87 CR125, also for $200. Their loss, I guess! Good luck with it, hopefully it provides you with tons of fun tearing through the woods!

-Matt

Coop

Jan 21, 2000
Thanks Pat. If you come up this summer I'll throw it and my wife's 80 on a trailer and we'll go riding, LOL.

Cool ysr, have any pictures?

ysr89

Dec 4, 2007
Hey, I don't have any pics of the bike by itself, I'll take some eventually. I can't really get to the bike right now, my garage is pretty full and it's at the back. You can see the CR behind the YSR in this pic:

EricSnow028.jpg

This is the garage, it's pretty buried behind some stuff. It's not the most buried in there, but I'm too lazy to pull it out :)

EricSnow044.jpg

Coop

Jan 21, 2000
Nice, I love the old CR's. I have never owned a Yamaha dirt bike until now (well I did buy my nephew a PW50 last year but technically that's his, lol).

ysr89

Dec 4, 2007
I don't know why, but I prefer older bikes to newer ones. The newer ones are better to ride, but there is just something about older MXers. Not that 1987 is old, but I'd love to find a nice Elsinore!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'll be there for sure Coop, gota' drive up and take some stuff back. If we end up needing more space than the 5.5' bed on my SuperCrew I'll be bringing my trailer and that will mean road trip for the dirt bikes as well!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom