New to biking, Got a xr80, and some ?'s

tiresmokinV8

Nov 11, 2006
I just bought my friends 96 xr80 and I had some questions about it. First off I havent really ridden it much on anything but am open field so I plan to use it on just trail riding. No jumps or anything just cruising the trails. I am 5' 10" and weigh 185 so should I change the suspension? If so what do you recommend? I know for my size I should have gotten a bigger bike but I know its history, and I like the size since its easier to store where I am since i dont have much room at all. I want to keep reliability in mind so I dont plan on anything major with the motor maybe exhaust and rejet. Any other mods that would be good to do that wouldnt set me back too money. How hard is swapping in a xr100 motor? Just an idea if the motor ever craps out. Is it a direct swap? Or would a big bore kit be better? I've always thought a big bore kit might make reliablility and longevity an issue since the walls would be thinner. New to the sport so Any help would be extremely appreciated.
Thanks

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
personally i would ride it ,and sell it to get a bigger bike,unless you want to spend some big money, your probably better off getting a xr200 if you like the xr's

tiresmokinV8

Nov 11, 2006
I am not looking for overall speed because i new to dirtbiking and dont plan to race or jump with this bike..trailriding would be its main purpose and i just need something that will allow me to do this with reliabilitly and capability...overall pretty much for now to just get me from point a to point b with it still being capable of getting the job done

matte1014

Sep 2, 2006
i agree with jason.. I am only 5'5 130 and i was about a buy a 2002 XR80 to putt around on but decided to save my money.. if i were you espeicially since your bigger than me i would ride it stock and not waste any money on it.. save your money and look at a bigger bike later.. maybe a xr200 like jason said or if you want a newer bike a CRF230..

pryor

Oct 21, 2006
If you must mess with it try lower gearing. Try one tooth smaller on countershaft if thats not low enough go three teeth larger on the rear. A pipe and a better filter might help also but the sprockets will make the most noticeable difference.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Racer1355 said:
What would make it faster without having to put alot of money in it???? :coocoo:

A better rider.

Top Bottom