tank_tech

Jan 2, 2010
newbie to this forum and dirtbikes.

I just bought my first real bike. 03 suzuki RM 80. it is small i know, but the price was right. needs a engine rebuild, after that the value will increase at least 4 times. the bike is pretty much stock other then a FMF gold series pipe. I previously own a 78 suzuki A100, but that was just for putting around.

I rode snowmobiles for years now. all the summers of sitting around tinkering with my sled and waiting for winter have been killer. so i decided to pick up a summer hobby. fishing bores me to **** so i bought a dirt bike.

tank_tech

Jan 2, 2010
type of riding

what type? well i wont be racing, and there arent really any dunes around here. ill most likely just be riding around looking for things i can jump, climb, try to ride over. similair to "ditch banging" on a snowmobile. I might end up in some quarries every once in a while. we'll see i guess.

tank_tech

Jan 2, 2010
I just bought my first "real" bike, 03 Suzuki RM80. Its small i know, but the price was sweet. needs a motor rebuild and bars and it should be mint. currently has a FMF Goldseries pipe, which is what i believe caused the rings to blow. Previous to this i rode a 78 Suzuki A100 which isnt even a actual dirtbike.

the story goes the guy before me melted a hole in the piston with the stock pipe, got the motor rebuilt, didnt break it in at all, put the FMF on to the fresh motor, didnt rejet, and just started riding. its no wonder the motor is toast again. My plan is to rebuild the motor, reinstall the stock pipe, break it in, then put the FMF on and rejet.

The bike also needs a set of handle bars, but all the controls are there.

Like i said i know the 80 is undersized, but i juts want the bike to play around on. something to do in the summer when i cant ride my snowmobile.

im pretty much new to dirt biking, have a to learn.

heres a pic of the bike off my cell.
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/attachment.php?attachmentid=17235&stc=1

tank_tech

Jan 2, 2010
how old?

20yrs, about 130lb, 5' 9".

i need to know lots. what kinda bars should i be looking for. any tips for the rebuild? ill be doing it myself. I have rebuild air cooled snowmobile and scooter engines in the past, this will be my first liquid rebuild. am i supposed to have a guard on the front sprocket?... list goes on.

Dec 13, 2009
i would go to your nearest dealership for expert advice on the engine or find an online link, but as far as the bars go, any bars will work, but MSR, Flexx,and Renthal make good bars..........hope that helps.Usually, anything the stock size for bars or larger should be good. Hope that helped, and have fun riding your mini and snowmobiles........i have a sled too, and they are FUN!!!!!!(when they are running, mine is currently in the shop getting a new fuel pump :( )

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
At 5'9" you are going to find that the size of the bike will affect the way you can ride it, I'd suggest making some mods to combat that. Since you need bars anyway I would look at replacing the stock bars with Renthal Mini Hi bend bars and putting on some bar risers to raise them even more. If you plan to put that thing in the air much at 130 you will likely want stiffer springs and possibly some suspension work.

The rebuild is very straight forward but I would acquire a manual if you didn't get one with the bike. There are Four Suzuki dealers in Manitoba to get OEM parts. Greg's and Formula Suzuki are located in Winnipeg, Sun & Snow is located in Portage la Prairie and Crikside is in Steinbach. If the cylinder plating is toast when you pull the top end then talk to Kelly at Fast Enterprises in Headingley.

As far as the guard on the front sprocket, the bike came with a plastic guard stock that most racers remove pretty quickly, there should still be an aluminium case saver in front of the sprocket even if the plastic guard has been removed.

tank_tech

Jan 2, 2010
is it a mini?

A couple of times you reffered to my bike as a mini, and i was moved to the mini forum, so this would be considered a mini? sorry i didnt realize the "general" forum wasnt for mini topics. heck i didnt even know i was a mini.

how tight should my chain be? sprockets are okay, dont look dog toothed.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Yup it's a minibike. Not an exact science but general rule of thumb I've always used for chain slack is to put my fingers between the chain and swingarm right at the end of the chain slider, 3 fingers of slack was about right.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Welcome new bee

Porkchop wants to go riding in manitoba in the spring, needs local guides, no baby sitting required. Thanks guys....

tank_tech

Jan 2, 2010
chain slack

three fingers of space between the chain and swing are when just hanging?

what can i do to better my suspension for a guy my size

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Porkchop said:
Porkchop wants to go riding in manitoba in the spring, needs local guides, no baby sitting required. Thanks guys....

Get in touch closer to when you are coming up and let me know the type of riding you are looking to do.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
2-3 fingers depending on the size of your fingers beween the chain (top) and swingarm (bottom) right after the chain slider.

Attachments

• adjustchain1b.jpg
    adjustchain1b.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 184

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Thanks Chili, Any where green, remote & beautiful will do, good fishing is a plus also. Best Regards, P. C. :cool:

leadfootz28

Jul 12, 2009
wuts up man.im somewhat in the same boat as you.i just bought my first real bike around 6 months ago and what i thought was a 01 rm80 i believe is a rm85..very similar to yours.im 24 and 6 foot about 135 lbs so this bike is a pretty good beginner bike for me to learn on.these bikes are suprisingly peppy and quick.

so far i got a new rear caliper/rear pads/rear spacer..repacked the rear and front bearings.got new tires new air filter and a new galfer rear rotor i got a good deal on from ebay.their fun bikes to work on/ride and hook up.im now in the market for a new set of plastics..thinking of getting a black ufo set :)

how much did you get your bike for?

tank_tech

Jan 2, 2010
sounds like you've been busy. I havent touched the bike since i put it in the garage the day i bought it. i snowmobile so im waiting for summer to work on it, give myself something to do then.

i paid $250 for the bike, motor is shot though(rings, or piston)

Top Bottom