Bruce

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 1999
My son is thirteen, about 5 foot 2, 125 pounds. Somewhat timid rider until last few rides where he is now using the full power of the PW80. Since he grew about 5 inches over the summer, the pw80 is clearly too small for him. So what do you suggest as the next bike... he wants to stick to Yamaha.

YZ80
TTR 125

Any suggestions?
Thank you.

Last edited:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Sounds like he's a good candidate for a TTR125. The YZ80 is a kick azz race bike. Plus it will need the top end done pretty frequently. The TTR is a much lower maintenance machine and much better for a "timid" rider.

Any of the Honda XR line that he feels comfortable on would work well too.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The best bet is to have a serious talk with your son about his intentions and what you see him riding down the road. We went through a similar scenario with my son. We bought a brand new TT-R125L to replace his PW80 and three weeks after the purchase and one mx class later he informed me that MX racing was what he wanted to do on a bike. So I ended up having to sell the TT-R less than a few months after we bought it for an 80 class mx'er.

Bottom line both options are good bikes although for a kid coming off a PW80 the YZ85 would be one of the poorer choices out the 85cc mx'ers as the YZ and CR are both standard cylinder engines without powervalves and are designed to be top end screamers with almost no bottom end. If you decide to go for an mx'er I would be inclined to look more at the KX or RM since they both have powervalves and a little more low end for a novice user. If you go with the TT-R make sure it is an L version since at 5'2 he will outgrow that bike in short order as well.

Don't let your son get hung up on a Brand by stressing to him that your looking for the best suited bike for him not the best suited Yamaha.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I was in the exact same situation as your son. I was almost 12 and giving the PW about all it could handle. I wanted the TT-R125 bad because it had just came out and it looked pretty cool(at the time). The only problem was that it was 20 lbs. heavier and $400 more than a XR100(which is what my dad suggested). Then I came across a used 1997 RM80 in good condition. I was worried about the lack of low end power but it had more than anyother 80. Man I'm glad I got that thing; 40 lbs. less than a TT-R. Just ride it the way it was meant to be rode. Now I have a KDX200(because I rode my dads 220 and loved it) and I'm glad I had the expirence fron that 80.

No offence but why Yamaha? McGrath? I loved my RM because of Pastrana. I liked RC until the big Honda deal.

I'f he is real timid get the XR100. But 80's arn't too hard to ride. Pretty handy in the woods sometimes.

If he's 5'7" you could get a KX100 and port it for low end power(my second choice to the KDX).

Steve1971

Aug 7, 2018
My son is thirteen, about 5 foot 2, 125 pounds. Somewhat timid rider until last few rides where he is now using the full power of the PW80. Since he grew about 5 inches over the summer, the pw80 is clearly too small for him. So what do you suggest as the next bike... he wants to stick to Yamaha.

YZ80
TTR 125

Any suggestions?
Thank you.
I had a kx80 that I bought from uncle who de-tuned by changing plug to a number 4.
(No powerband)
I have similar issue with my own lad and own a yz85 and most likely do the same.
Just have to keep an eye out for when they start ridding hard and just upsize the plug.
You will go through plugs and if not paying attention piston and rings as well.
But 2 stroke eat piston and rings anyway so get used to replacing them.

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019

YZ80
TTR 125

Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Since you are a yammie fan, I had a few too, I bet you are big enough for da big Yz-490 or a sweet Wr500, of course there is a bike that no mortal can have and that's the Mighty YZM-500 To sleep perchance to dream, some day, some day...LOL!
037-244x150.jpg
Not in this life, Yamaha, you forgot your fans.....LOL!

Top Bottom