aaldape

Mar 18, 2007
Yeup, never heard of em... Just out to the end of Southern (more trails/hills than anything), Montessa (same thing, hills, washes), and never been to nine mile hill...

I'm guessing when you say northern, that is at the end of Northern blvd? The same as going to the end of southern? Where is the shack track?

Just need to get some confidence/body/throttle control before I decide to try huge launches...

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
aaldape said:
Just need to get some confidence/body/throttle control before I decide to try huge launches...

Did someone say huge LUNCHES????? :yikes:

oh, he said launches? us fat old guys dont do those well, cuz soon after that those LANDING things happen...... :rotfl:

Dang! Go out 4 wheelin' in Colorado for a while and a 3 page NM thread gets started!
And no VD posts yet?

Hey Matt! How's things down in Duke town?

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Everything is good man! How you been? Wes is still around, and I'm still here...Beef, however has be a thing of the past for quite some time....he'll be back though....we all come back....How is everything up in Aztec? Matt

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
It's good up here!
Temps are starting to cool down now. And i'm sure youve seen the weather reports. Farmington has been broiling this summer!
So ive been doing some 4 wheeling with the Bronco, and trail putting up in Colorado lately.
Cinnimon pass, the Aspen loop, etc, just to cool off!
Thought about taking the pig down Blackbear pass, but i was told it was closed this year?
Did Wes sell the 250F??
Mebbe he got a 450? eh? :ride:

Your right too.
Beef'll be back, they always come back! :laugh:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I think he got a 450 from Okie a couple years back....don't remember the details, but I hauled it back from Oklahoma after DirtWeek '05 for him if I remember right.....Been a while...LOL!

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Hey Wally, long time no look you. I sold the 250F to a guy up in Los Alamos, he's a DRNer by the name of hunt4steve. I did have a CRF450 that I bought from the boss but I sold that a while back. I still have the vintage stuff but I'm going to get rid of most of that one of these days. My knees feel twenty years younger already. I've got a couple of street bikes that I ride a couple times a week.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
VintageDirt said:
I've got a couple of street bikes that I ride a couple times a week.

Howdy Wes! Yea its been awhile.

STREET bikes?!? :whoa: :yikes: :whoa:
Well at least its a bike. hee hee!
What did ya get?
Ive been thinking about picking up a nice KZ1000 (1980 vintage) that some guy keeps torturing me to buy.
(nice to do smoky burnouts with.....)

If the WRF was too much for the knees you could always get one of those new 150Fs. Make a backyard moto-track!
Dont give it up dude!!
Thers too much FUN to be had before the "big sleep"!! :laugh:

hunt4steve

fat guy on a bike....
Feb 5, 2007
OnAnySunday said:
Did Wes sell the 250F??

Yup, he sold it....to me. I actually live in Santa Fe, but work in Los Alamos.

Recently I put in a Rekluse, and I did a bit of a write up on the install. Check it out on my website:

http://www.hunt4steve.com/WR250F.html

Well, I hope to get down there to ride with you guys in Rio Rancho. I used to live out on Southern Blvd, and for a very short time, I had a Yamaha YZ600. Talk about scary! I sold it pretty quickly after recognizing that I was on a quick path to destroying myself. Plus, I didn't have any riding gear to really go with the bike.

Anyhow, check out the page and let me know what you all think.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Had a great time exploring your site Steve....I'm sure our paths will cross someday.....

f1uffy

Jun 14, 2007
My 9 year old students can't wait to teach teacher how to ride properly. I am still barely beginning. Need easy practice....hahaha

hunt4steve

fat guy on a bike....
Feb 5, 2007
YZ165,

indeed, our paths will cross someday.

Just got back from Buckman area. Put in about 60miles of hard hitting fast single track. Got off the trails at 10AM this morning, simply an awesome start to a great Saturday. Of course, the WR250F with the Rekluse did really, really great. There were a couple of spots that I had to put it in first gear and just creep up a few slot trails. The rain erroded the trail to the point there was just a small single slot, just wide enough for the tires. Get out of the slot, and you go down, as I did a couple of times.

MAN I'm having fun!

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Went great! But make that plural, there were three ramps, and about fiften to twenty riders out....You can see pics here.... http://hunterbattle.blogspot.com/, More pics to follow....

aaldape

Mar 18, 2007
No Gallup area for me anytime soon. Too much school and work! Barely have time to hit up Southern anymore!

And just to keep this thread alive, I had a good day of riding out at southern & northen on Friday, got to practice whoops and jumps. Anybody here good at suspension setup? I think my front forks may be too stiff for me... I good setup could help with the whoops, I suck at those... I'm getting better at jumping stuff though :)

hunt4steve

fat guy on a bike....
Feb 5, 2007
upcoming race

Any of you guys going to this weekends event?

The New Mexico Desert Racing is having an event in Cuba, NM.

"Southwest Off Road Enterprises Inc presents the 31st Annual "Oh my God" Desert Race. November 3-4, Cuba, NM. AMA Sanctioned Event - Motorcycle ONLY race.

Here is the link to thier flyer and registration form:
http://www.nmdrc.com/omg04pics/2007/OMG07.PDF

Apparently you have to be a member of the AMA ($39), and have to pay some fees to race. I'm considering going, but I wanted to get your all's opinons on this event.

Has anybody been to this event in the past?

Thoughts? :ride:

BTW, Wes, I can't thank you enough for the great deal on the bike. Since March of this year, I've outgrown the group I've been riding with. I went from crashing over 5 times in one ride to leaving these guys in my dust. One guy, who would leave be behind all the time, stated in this last trail ride that it took everything in him to keep me in his sights. I'm riding harder and faster each time I go out. With the Rekluse, its only gotten better.

Last edited:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
hunt4steve said:
Has anybody been to this event in the past?

Thoughts? :ride:

BTW, Wes, I can't thank you enough for the great deal on the bike. Since March of this year, I've outgrown the group I've been riding with. I went from crashing over 5 times in one ride to leaving these guys in my dust. One guy, who would leave be behind all the time, stated in this last trail ride that it took everything in him to keep me in his sights. I'm riding harder and faster each time I go out. With the Rekluse, its only gotten better.

Hey no problem Steve, if you want to get into vintage motocross I can set you up with a bike too. Or if you need a cool street bike I got one for ya too.

And also, I have been to the OMG hunnert a time or two. In 02 I broke three ribs there. I had big plans for fame and glory but it didn't work out... http://www.wesbaca.com/returntoglory.html

Attachments

• finisherpin.jpg
    finisherpin.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 192

hunt4steve

fat guy on a bike....
Feb 5, 2007
So, are you saying it was fun, and worth doing it. Would you recommend doing it?

Man, 3 broken ribs, I hear those are pretty painful.

More bikes, I dunno. The boss is not too happy with the amount of gear I needed to get. I just picked up some Asterisk braces for $390, used ofcourse. But, they still work and I'm stoked about that. Also, I just got a helmet camera, that'll be way cool.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
hunt4steve said:
So, are you saying it was fun, and worth doing it. Would you recommend doing it?
OK Steve I'll give it to you straight. It's worth it to race. My best memories are of racing and I never did it all that much and I never was any good at it. But there's just something about putting yourself out there and competing against like minded people. But that's just me, now that I only do the street thing I still ride like a kid...if there's someone ahead of me, I try to put them behind me. Is it smart? No. Do I really have a choice? Yes, but that would be much worse.

I gotta quit riding the Beemer on that dirt road between the Santo Domingo exit and North 14, I keep flatting my Roadtecs. See, I still wanna ride dirt.

If you decide to race the OMG the hardest part will be relaxing and just riding a good pace, finish the race, crashes slow you down more that slowing down. Dust is bad, don't race into what you can't see, definitely not worth it, but don't stop on the course either!

hunt4steve

fat guy on a bike....
Feb 5, 2007
Well, I just officially got the news from the website (shoulda read a little more), its been cancelled. There is a write-up on the reason why:

http://www.nmdrc.com/OMG100.htm

At any rate, I was looking forward to this.

Anybody know of any other events coming up?

aaldape

Mar 18, 2007
Well thats too bad man, sounds like it would have been fun to race.

How do you like those Asterisk's Steve? I'm curious about them but would hate to buy a pair and not like them much. I also heard they can lead to bone brakes in your lower leg in a bad crash...

As for any other events, let us know, could be fun to watch!

hunt4steve

fat guy on a bike....
Feb 5, 2007
Yes, I've heard the same thing about bone breaking Asterisks. I've heard (read) the CTi2 braces are the bone breakers. I've read sooooo many reports about riders who love them, won't ride without them, gotta have, etc. At my age, being the sole bread wiener, and heavy on the throttle, I thought it would be better than 6 weeks out of work (60 % of current pay would really suck) and a messed up knee for life. I already have arthritus in both knees, and I know it will only get worse. But, I also know that my Health care provider won't really do much until its really bad. So, I'm trying to take steps to prolong that eventual surgery day. Heck, at age 35 I had both Rotator Cuffs done. My right should was really messed up; even the surgen was surprised how bad it was. He also stated it was a good thing they did my left shoulder as well, it was well on its way to a very bad state. As my Orthopedic surgen stated, I"m a "Orthopedic surgens dream", bad joints all over the place. :)

Yeah, it was too bad it was cancelled. Seemed like it was going to be a good time.

Wed, do you still have the Sherpa T, still riding it?

On another note, does anybody know of where there are some good tracks in the great albuquerque area. I've been out to the Rio Rancho dunes and beyond them, seems they are for just playing around. I've been to 9 mile, before they closed it. Are there any tracks that I could exercise my frequent flyer miles on? I'm not into the freestyle, those upside down loops just plain scare me. I just like to go fast and fly far.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Steve I've got a same thing but different Sherpa T, I don't ride it. When you get ready for vintage trials...

Top Bottom