rudymx250

Feb 27, 2008
A little background on myself. I'm almost 25 living in southern Ontario, Canada. I've been tooling around with bikes for a number of years now, starting out with a mini chopper I built myself, then a 78 Yammie XS650 and two 79 XS400's. A few of my friends had dirt bikes, but none of them had bikes big enough for me (about 6' 4" and 260lbs). They all had 80's and 125's. So I just picked up a 1974 Yamaha MX250 for cheap. Well, the reason why it was cheap is because somebody scammed most of the important parts off it. Carb is gone, ignition system completely gone except for the rotor and spark plugs, rear brake along with wheel spacers and adjusters, a few odd covers here and there, and the original seat. Been able to find a few replacement parts on ebay, but nothing for ignition other than PVL from Penton. That would likely run me 5 bills by the time it's done. I'd rather find something cheaper, since I'm just gonna use this for tooling around with friends. Any help would be much appreciated. Decent lookin little forum you've all got going here too. Can't wait to get to know.

Rudy

two-stroke

Feb 23, 2008
Google, Ebay, and a phonebook are your bestfriend. just search around and look for big yamaha dealerships or vintage bike collectors.

sorry i dont have any real advice but i hope that helps

rudymx250

Feb 27, 2008
two-stroke said:
Google, Ebay, and a phonebook are your bestfriend. just search around and look for big yamaha dealerships or vintage bike collectors.

sorry i dont have any real advice but i hope that helps

Google came up with PVL and Vortex ignitions. Vortex doesn't make a system for my bike, and PVL is kinda pricey. There are a few Yammie dealers around, but the local one refers to anything over 5 years old as "boat anchors". Kinda turned off a vintage guy like me. There's a good guy with a little shop in the little town where I live that may be of some help. Just gotta find the time to get there. Thing is, if I found a dealership that has an original ignition system, it'll run me about the same as a PVL, which IMHO would perform much better. I guess I have a bit of time yet, but would be nice to get this on the go.

Indy: I'll check out that guy. Might get lucky.

Top Bottom