firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Don't see too many posts.

Just in case someone sticks their head in here, Hi to all the Colorado people.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I'm in New Mexico. We've been riding in the Red River area just about every week. Only a few more weeks left before they get that awful white stuff.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
haha it's pretty slow in here.

I just moved to CO. I ride a mix of MX and trails, about 50-50 now that I live in BFE and the closest riding is Pawnee MX. I haven't gotten to see too many CO singletrack trails yet but hopefully next year ...

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
NM_KDX200 said:
I'm in New Mexico. We've been riding in the Red River area just about every week. Only a few more weeks left before they get that awful white stuff.
What's up Coloradans? :ride:

I usually ride Aztec in Springs, and Thunder Valley in Lakewood. I haven't ridden it yet since the national, but I'm planning on going soon... especially since it has started snowing al-freakin-ready.

NM_KDX200, I've heard about a new MX track in Raton. Can you confirm this?

Ryan

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Ryone said:
I usually ride Aztec in Springs....NM_KDX200, I've heard about a new MX track in Raton. Can you confirm this?

Confirmed. The track is run by the Northern NM Sport Rider's Assoc. and John Hester of Hester's Yamaha is your contact. It's a good local track and I'm VERY happy to have it, but I wouldn't drive past Aztec to get here. The Assoc. is just getting running and we don't much equip. to keep the track maintained, plus the dreaded quads are allowed on it. Thus, it is currently getting a little hardpacked and dusty. Think "Pueblo" and you'll be on the right thought track. I think that once we a reliable ripper and can keep the dirt torn up that it'll be be better but right now it's just a good practice track. Riding is by membership only and it's really not setup for guests.

I have been really thinking about driving up and riding Aztec. Last time I was there was 6 years ago and I had a slug of a '92 YZ250. I'd like to run the KX125 around and experience some actual traction. Do you know anything about day-riding passes at Aztec?

Firecracker- BFE???

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
I was wondering what the track in Raton would be like. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
I've ridden in Pueblo before, but only when every other possible option is exhausted. That's a dangerous place, mainly because there's no direction on the track. Hopefully they'll be able to get a water truck and a ripper down in Raton to help with the maintenance. My hometown is close to Raton, and I bring the bike down with me once in a while.
As far as a day pass to Aztec:
They changed the rule last year and currently only allow members to ride. But, they pro-rate the membership... In January it's $40, then it drops about $3 a month until it's $15... so since it's October, the membership would be $15 plus $10 to ride. It's pricey the first time you sign up, but they maintain the track often, there are no quads allowed, they have restrooms in a building, parking is open and simple, and they change the layout at least twice a month.

There are two main tracks besides the beginners track. They have good tabletops, and only a couple gapped jumps to keep the injuries down. Check out www.aztecraceway.com

Ryan

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
$15 plus $10 isn't bad. It'll be the cheapest part of the trip! I think I'll watch the weather and come up sometime in the next month or so.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I live in Sterling, ride at Pawnee MX and head for the mountains when I can. I just moved here. I've hit Woodland Park trails twice, that was pretty fun. Have plans for Berthoud and Milliken races in the future but not until Nov. since Oct. is busy for me.

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
OnAnySunday said:
Ryone, thanks for the link to the Aztec track.
Ive heard of it but never been there.
Every time i hear talk about Aztec i think about
http://www.funcentercycles.com/hdrc/aztec.html
LOL!

Its a bit cheaper there though, for practice or puttin around. (free) :aj:
lol... yeah, you can't beat free.
Aztec is a tight track with a lot of turns and jumps. It's more of a supercross track than a real MX track like Thunder Valley. I haven't been to Berthoud, Watkins, or Milliken... but I've heard a lot about them.

The Woodlan Park trail is also a fun ride.

Ryan

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
Aztec is a pretty fun track, i'm usually out there 3 or 4 times a week. I have seen it dry and really hardpack at times, but if they prep it it can be really loamy and nice, and if they put a lot of water down it can be one of the nicest tracks with ruts in every corner and big bumps. South track is the novice track and is more SX style and North is the pro track but has some more MX elevation changes and since they changed it around it has a 130' step up now that only kyle summers has done, a 110' double that you have to hit 4th tapped on my 125 and pray, and of course the finish line, I think it might have the biggest jumps in the state now? However, north is rarely prepped, but south is still pretty entertaining for the faster guys. It doesn't really have any jumps over 70', but it has a few flyaways that you can easily hit the 110' foot mark if you hit them hard enough.

Ryone...I'm usually out there, 842 on a yz125, i'm usually on south to just beacuse i would rather ride a prepped track that is easy than a dustbowl by myself...if you see me you should say hi. Will you be racing winter combat?

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
Welcome 'cracker. I had a hand in getting this chapter started, but fled the scene for the most part. Just part of the usual stress being the only rider in the household. Besides, I lean more toward trails and many seem to prefer tracks. The only track I care for is Thunder Valley. The 500 makes me look like the non-rider I am anywhere else.

Anyway, you're way up and outta the way in Sterling. Sounds like Nebraska would have closer rides? Or at least the northern tracks like Berthoud.

If you get down to the Woodland Park trails again, you should try to hook up with CJRider. She rides a KX100 and knows those trails well.

You might also give the Pawnee Grasslands a try when they open for OHV in November. Kinda bland from what I here, but not too far from your neck of the woods.

Troy

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
mxer842 said:
Ryone...I'm usually out there, 842 on a yz125, i'm usually on south to just beacuse i would rather ride a prepped track that is easy than a dustbowl by myself...if you see me you should say hi. Will you be racing winter combat?

For sure :cool: I'm on a CR125 with black plates and no numbers. I try to hit the track at least a couple weekends a month. I'd like to get there more, but I just haven't been able to yet.

They're pretty good at keeping the south track prepped, like you said, but the North track is by far the best when it's watered and groomed.

I don't know if I'll be racing winter combat. I'd like to hit a couple races, but haven't decided yet. What class do you race in?

Ryan

DragonRider

Apr 24, 2006
looking for Colorado Riders

Hey,
Im new to the sport, looking for local Colorado riders. Looking for advice with just starting up and people to go ride with. Thanks Jason

Top Bottom