Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Last edited:

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
It sounds to me like this is either going to be state or county run. If thats the case, I can see them not allowing dirtbikes, just like all the other state trails that allow ATVs. They do mention everything except dirtbikes on the site.

Dave, I couldnt return your phone call, because I dont have your phone# :whoa:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
scooter1130 said:
It sounds to me like this is either going to be state or county run. If thats the case, I can see them not allowing dirtbikes, just like all the other state trails that allow ATVs. They do mention everything except dirtbikes on the site.

Dave, I couldnt return your phone call, because I dont have your phone# :whoa:
I called on my cell phone so you should have it. The battery died though so I'll give you a call tomorrow.

I noticed that the OHV park didn't mention bikes but they also said it was going to be like Hatfield-McCoy. Sounds like a phone call is in order!

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Very good. Been pushing for a State run OHV park since they have bee taking in tons of bucks from quad registration and ins co's since they require insurance for a quad to be registered and promised the funding would subsidise riding areas. Bikes tend to fall under AMA protection and so they are not written into most state laws but are implied in most OHV cases. A dirt bike can be street legal but a quad on the road is always wrong :nener: .

CRFGuy

Aug 5, 2005
This has been in the works and posted on several sites for quite sometime. Would be nice but we already ride most of this land through the coal company.

PROJECT NAME: Northumberland County Off Highway Vehicle Park

DESCRIPTION: Currently Northumberland County has approximately 1,000 vehicles riding illegally on approximately 6,000 acres of county land on any given weekend and constant daily use. There is a current and immediate need for responsible outdoor recreation. This proposal affords opportunities for all types of motorized and non-motorized use. Specifically, the type of terrain lends itself for use of full size 4x4 and ATV use. Because of its unique and diverse terrain, it is certain to become a national destination in the off road recreation industry.

This OHV Park will encompass approximately 35 parcels of county owned land. The contour of the site is a variety of water courses, woodlands, and meadows but it is mostly unusable abandoned strip mines heavily scarred from previous mining activity which lends the land to be relatively unusable. However, the natural course and terrain lends itself to the design of an off highway vehicle park that has been heavily used illegally for the past 40 years by the public.

Our goal is to embrace the Lower Anthracite Region and transform it into a national destination for outdoor, year round recreation. The focus of the project is to provide a safe and regulated environment for the use of motorized off highway vehicles and also non-motorized recreation. The park would serve as a recreational area for many types of outdoor activities in a family oriented and safe environment.

The proposed project will include:

- A Welcome Center
- Parking area to accommodate trailers
- Extensive system of organized trails with signage
- Camp sites, both primitive and full hook up
- Rest Rooms
- Shower Facilities
- Picnic Pavilions
- Picnic Tables
- Vehicle washing center
- Emergency landing zones

In order to prepare for the visitors to the park, a community economic feasibility study is being conducted in conjunction with the master site plan. This study will look at the economic impact the park will generate and how the individual municipalities can prepare for the park opening.

Through the guidance and approval of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, a Steering Committee was formed to oversee the master site plan. Committee members represent various groups and have varied backgrounds to formulate a well rounded group. The members are:

Kurt Masser, Northumberland County Commissioner
Pat Mack, Director, Northumberland County Planning Department
Kathy Jeremiah, OHV Project Coordinator, Northumberland County Planning Dept.
Barry Yorwarth, representing full size users
Jeff Nye, representing full size users
Tom Hetzendorf, representing ATV users
Howard Hetzendorf, representing ATV users
Louise Mensch representing equestrians
Gene Welsh representing Coal Township Commissioners, Business Owner, ATV user
Steve Minker representing the Brush Valley Chamber of Commerce
Dave Crowl representing the Northumberland County Conservation District, enthusiast
Billy Rosini representing adjacent land owners
Joe Picarelli representing outdoorsmen
Bernie Rumberger representing emergency responders
Jim Backes representing business owners, off road enthusiast
Lance Schwartz representing ATV users and Zerbe Township Supervisors

The master plan is being funded with grants from the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development. The plan is being prepared by Pashek Associates, a Landscape Architecture and Community Planning Firm located in Pittsburgh in conjunction with Pennoni Associates of Mechanicsburg.

Contact Information for the progress

Northumberland County Planning Department
399 S. 5th St.
Sunbury, PA 17801
Voice: 570-988-4343
Fax: 570-944-4436
Facebook: Northumberland County OHV Park

CRFGuy

Aug 5, 2005
WE SUPPORT THE NORTHUMBERLAND COUNTY OHV PARK!

You should too! Here’s why:

1. It will preserve and protect the land for recreation and conservation activities!

2. The park will provide a safe and responsible place for outdoor recreation activities.

3. The project will be an engine for economic development activities necessary to support the park’s users.

4. The permanent presence will reduce the amount of illegal dumping and other hazards happening on the property both criminal and environmental.

5. This land is abandoned mine land, its currently being used for illegal recreation purposes, it needs to be turned into an asset not remain a liability.

SUPPORT THE OHV PARK TODAY!!!
SIGN SUPPORT PETITIONS
“LIKE” IT ON FACEBOOK
SEND LETTERS TO THE EDITOR/POLITICIANS
ATTEND PUBLIC MEETINGS TO BE ANNOUNCED

www.ohv.norrycopa.net

Top Bottom