Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Take a second to introduce yourself with a new post in this section of the forums.

Having Joined the site, you now have access to all the forums, the search function and many other forum tools that will make your time here more productive.

Be sure to look over the email options in your profile ... we don't send out "newsletters" and the like, we don't sell your email address, we don't gather info to sell to marketers ... you have full control over what info you provide and what email notifications you receive. Privacy matters.

If you have any questions about using the forum, or anything else for that matter, don't be afraid to ask. If you feel like something could be done better around here, we're always open to suggestions!

Welcome to DRN!

Jupain561

Jul 24, 2018
hello I have an 01 yz250 i am having strange issues with and I am looking where to post the thread and how? Some guidance would awesome thank yoy

rmpmrace

Jan 3, 2019
Hey All, new to the forum. Just started racing vintage MX. 1979 kx 125 1984 cr250, among other bikes. This vintage thing has been a blast as I am also of the vintage persuasion (old) . From Howell Mi.

Connor badlad

Mar 1, 2019
It's been closed for a few years and frankly, I can't remember why we closed it?

So take a second to introduce yourself!

Having Joined the site, you now have access to all the forums, the search function and many other forum tools that will make your time here more productive.

Be sure to look over the email options in your profile ... we don't send out "newsletters" and the like, we don't sell your email address, we don't gather info to sell to marketers ... you have full control over what info you provide and what email notifications you receive.

Post your pics and vids in your own album (See "Media" above). We've made it super easy, drag and drop images, post youtube (and many others) videos by simply pasting the URL, the site will do the rest. We don't mind you promoting your channel, but we hope that's not the only reason you're here.

If you have any questions about using the forum, or anything else for that matter, don't be afraid to ask. If you feel like something could be done better around here, we're always open to suggestions!

Welcome to DRN!
Ty for letting me join

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
Hey All, new to the forum. Just started racing vintage MX. 1979 kx 125 1984 cr250, among other bikes. This vintage thing has been a blast as I am also of the vintage persuasion (old) . From Howell Mi.
I have a 85 cr 250 and its fun, I had a buddy that bought a 84 2fiddy back in 89, it had low hours on it, and it ran better than my 85, good bike! Love vintage bikes too!

zackgoes13

Nov 25, 2019
It's been closed for a few years and frankly, I can't remember why we closed it?

So take a second to introduce yourself!

Be sure to look over the email options in your profile ... we don't send out "newsletters" and the like, we don't sell your email address, we don't gather info to sell to marketers ... you have full control over what info you provide and what email notifications you receive.

Post your pics and vids in your own album (See "Media" above). We've made it super easy, drag and drop images, post youtube (and many others) videos by simply pasting the URL, the site will do the rest. We don't mind you promoting your channel, but we hope that's not the only reason you're here.

Welcome to DRN!
Hey i was just wondering im 13 years old but im 5'10 and i was looking into buying a crf250r and i weigh about 150 so would i be able to fit a crf250r?

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Hey i was just wondering im 13 years old but im 5'10 and i was looking into buying a crf250r and i weigh about 150 so would i be able to fit a crf250r?

Yes... quite possibly. You would have to sit on it to make sure. A CRF is pretty powerful so if this is your first bike you might want to consider something else.

Jbv

May 14, 2020
Hey all! New to this forum. I have several bikes and have been a rider for years. Recently picked up a pair of 85 honda xr350's. I will def be asking the forum some questions. Thanks all!

Surgicalnomad

Jun 21, 2020
I hope i am posting this in the right place. I am new to all this.
I found this forum as we bought a 1999 PW 80 for our 7 year old and its having issues and I'd like some feed back.
I am not mechanically inclined as I work in surgery putting people back together. I guess its similar.
But I am grateful to be here and hello to everyone.
We are in Michigan btw.

DirtyMx13

Mar 7, 2021
Morning all! New to the site but been riding dirt for several years. Started out on an old Suzuki ds80 way back in 86 (not sure of the model year since it was used, old and pretty beat up - but i loved it and rode it into the ground). Got back into riding again to introduce the love to my son when he was 3, and he got started on a pw50 which was a great experience for the both of us. Anyhow we live in the great southwest, Tucson, AZ and my son and I (hes now 14) still love the dirt and have been fortunate to own several great bikes. I'm not a manufacturer loyalist I just love dirtbikes, and Im currently the proud owner of a 2007 crf450r, 1992 RMX250, 1991Kx250, my sons 1997 Rm125, 2005 yz85, 2006 klx125 and his 2004 drz125, along with various other quads, smaller cc dirtbikes/pitbikes etc.. Im here to read/possibly share some insight/tips etc on the bikes I own, as well as those I might find myself grabbing in the future. Glad to be here and I hope everyone is doing well!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Welcome to the site. I too got my son involved at 3 on an old Artic Cat 50 minibike. It was my pitbike when I raced in the 70's. He's now 38 and still riding! It looks like you are a bike collector too =)I have a 2017 Bata 300RR and a 71 Honda MiniTrail. The MiniTrail was the closet year to the 69 that I learned on. I just couldn't resist buying it to ride around the yard.

BrianSC

Jun 6, 2021
South Carolina
I’m new to this site and new to riding/working on bikes. I’m retired but busier than ever. Over the years I’ve collected a few bikes but never rode very much. I currently own three basket cases: a ‘73 Harley XL1000, a ‘81 Honda CL500, and now (the bike I always wanted) a 1984 Honda XR350R. All three bikes I picked up cheap because they all have issues (the HD was in a fire, the CL owner needed cash, and the XR was on the way to the dump).
The bike I want to dig into is the ‘84 XR350. It’s been neglected but I have hopes that I can resurrect her despite my lack of knowledge and experience working on bikes.
When I first got the bike I drained the oil and changed the oil filter first. When I first pulled the oil plug about half a quart of water came out, then sludge/oil. I refilled it with oil hoping that might slow down whatever damage has already been done.
I took the bike over to a guy who parts out bikes, bought from him some missing pieces(clutch lever, front brake housing, muffler, and a kick start lever). When I put the kick start lever on, it could be pushed down by hand, making a ratcheting sound. I’m assuming that means a spring inside must have slipped or broken while it sat in water. I’m guessing I need to buy a shop manual and tear everything down.
So, first question : where can I find a digital edition of a shop manual?
Second question: from your experience working on motors has anyone come across a bike that had water in the crankcase? Was it salvageable?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The XRs are solid over time and you should be able to rebuild it if the whole thing isn't seized up. The miscellaneous parts will be harder to find but there are tons of alternatives for clutch perches and cables. I use Manuals Lab for my electronics research but haven't tried to find motorcycle manuals.

Mel Burbank

Apr 15, 2022
Thanks for the add, I am looking forward to absorbing some of the information and experience of others, and maybe offering up some advice and helpful information to other off road riders.

alanwoodruff

Jul 15, 2022
Take a second to introduce yourself with a new post in this section of the forums.

Be sure to look over the email options in your profile ... we don't send out "newsletters" and the like, we don't sell your email address, we don't gather info to sell to marketers ... you have full control over what info you provide and what email notifications you receive. Privacy matters.

Welcome to DRN!
I am new to the forum and look forward to sharing experiences. I am currently struggling with a 95 KTM 300 MXC that starts and idles well, is great off the bottom but is a dog the remainder the rest of the way. I would say 1/4 to wide open. This was a recent purchase to keep me busy as I am 64 and had a couple of strokes 5 years ago, but back to the bike. I am not 100% sure the timing was set right but will be checking it today. Carb has 170 main, needle on 3, not sure of idle jet. I'll add that after I get back and can work on it again. Want to blast around the yard so I can still feel young! Any advice is welcome

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I'd start with the carb. Make sure it is really clean as the jets may be a bit clogged unless ridden often. If it is clean then the needle and main jet may need to be adjusted for your temperature, fuel mix, etc.

Or... it could be the rings. May need a new top end. The 95 KTM300 shouldn't be too bad but I think they had different cylinder types and used an o-ring gasket on the cylinder (not sure which ones did that) so make sure you look into the parts for your specific bike very closely and if you don't have a manual for one get it or at least make sure the shop you use is into the sport and knows what they are doing.

Good luck.
Ivan

r_williams

Aug 7, 2022
Hello all. I have a 1999 kx 250 that I cannot get to spark. The mag is new, coil is new, spark plug is new. I dumped the old fuel, cleaned the tank and added fuel, cleaned the carb and it still won't start. Any comments or suggestions. PLEASE HELP...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom