motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
I am working on a product to document all of the major Trail systems and riding areas in Utah. It will be cd-rom based and will have maps from National Geographic along w/ GPS data. It will also have a list of all the resources in the areas(camping, food, dealers, motels, etc). All of the trails will be rated according to difficulty and sections of the trail will be photographed.

What other information would you want if you wanted to get informed about a trail area? This product should be available this summer but, it is still early enough that I can accomodate suggestions.

GL

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
Wow - that sounds great!

You said trails would be rated by difficulty - how in depth will the rating be? Something that divides it up might be helpful to show why it's difficult: deep sand, exposure, steep sections, large rock gardens, etc. That, in combination with the pictures you mentioned would be really helpful. Also - info in how crowded a trail usually is? Whether or not dogs are allowed in the area? (Or any other unusual restrictions?) Will it be in a format that's easy to print and take along with you?

Keep us informed when it will be ready and how we can buy a copy!

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
Originally posted by altagirl
Wow - that sounds great!

You said trails would be rated by difficulty - how in depth will the rating be? Something that divides it up might be helpful to show why it's difficult: deep sand, exposure, steep sections, large rock gardens, etc. That, in combination with the pictures you mentioned would be really helpful. Also - info in how crowded a trail usually is? Whether or not dogs are allowed in the area? (Or any other unusual restrictions?) Will it be in a format that's easy to print and take along with you?

Keep us informed when it will be ready and how we can buy a copy!

There is a trail rating standard that is being used by USFS and other trail guides that we intend to use. There will be descriptions of paticular sections that are more advanced. We will also provide a print funtion that will give you a map and a summary with directions and resources (probably about 4 pages of stuff). Once I get some close enough, I'll post a sample and have you guys give me some feedback.

GL

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
Originally posted by MX-727
www.utahatvtrails.com has most of the areas and may give you some ideas.

Yes, Robert Birkinshaw has done a great job with that site and I have enjoyed reading through it. My goal is to take the same idea but really expand it. When I first started riding in Utah I didn't realize HOW MANY great riding areas there were and when I went to look for them the information was like going on a scavenger hunt. I am just trying to create a resource that you can get a really good idea of the areas available and whether they provide the type of riding one would prefer.

I just spent part of last week and this one in the Uinta forest near Spanish Fork Canyon and the trails up there are BEAUTIFUL right now - VERY green. Some of them are pretty challenging as well. I'll post a sample from this are as soon as I can get it prepared.

GL

BadCRC

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2003
Northwest Georgia
Sounds like you have most of the basics covered!

I'm glad you are utilizing GPS coordinates. I have a fishing guide that has them, and it was a huge determining factor in which book I bought. I feel the same way about any 4X4 or Trail guide I would ever buy in the future.

I'd be excited to see the final draft, or any draft for that matter. If you ever want a guinea pig, I'd be glad to help test it out for ya. ;) ;)

Keep us up to date on your development! :thumb:

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
While you don't have to have a GPS to use this product, it will be much more useful to someone if they did. Personally, I don't like to go anywhere near a trail without it - I jsut feel more comfortable knowing where I am going and where I am at :)

I will be looking for 'Beta pigs' once I get close to the final stage.

GL

BlingBling

Sep 16, 2004
WOW. Is there a CD, yet. huh huh?

I would love to be a beta-pig!

I am looking for this information, right now. I have a GPS and TOPO! if it matters. I could GPS and photograph some beginner trails. I am bringing digital cameras. I could help! I have early October, all the way until spring desert wildflowers. I work cheap.

Top Bottom