PA trail riding... still in the dark...

Dec 18, 2006
I have been looking into riding elsewhere and I have been looking into state park land and seeing what needs to be done to ride 100 percent legit on the trails... I have found plenty of laws/regulations pretaining to ATV's but not to off road motorized bikes as it is listed here.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/FORESTRY/recreation.aspx

I have also found a bit of a description on the trails lsted for motorized bikes. It seems there isn't any requirements aside from a spark arrestor for only ONE trail in PA.

http://www.pamall.net/patra/patra7.html

I want to know if this is it... I have been in the area before and it is very nice, but its about a 2 1/2 hour drive away. PARAGON and Tower City are a lot closer, but I was just looking for more options.

Do states consider Dirt bikes ATV's??? I have only found them defined as a 3 to 4 wheeled vehicle designed for off road riding etc... But no mention at all about dirtike/2 wheeled vehicle.

letsride24-7

Aug 10, 2006
Hey, i have been on a few of these trails on my dirtbike and have not had a problem with the rangers.. I would say a spark arrestor is a safe bet though even though i never had one.. I have had rangers stop and ask me for the proper info on ATV's though.. But still i would just call one of the numbers in the contact area to be 100% sure..

This is the law for registration. And i believe here in PA you can't insure a dirtbike so this most likely is just for ATV's..

* Class 1 ATV - A motorized off-highway vehicle, which travels on three or more inflatable tires and has a maximum width of 50 inches and a maximum dry weight of 800 pounds.

* Class 2 ATV - A motorized off-highway vehicle, which travels on three or more inflatable tires and has a width which exceeds 50 inches or a dry weight which exceeds 800 pounds

Dec 18, 2006
Alright that is what I was thinking but have been having trouble finding most likely because you CANT insure those bikes. At the same time I did not find any laws restricting bikes from riding on ATV trails, yet atleast.

Ok I just got an email back from someone in harrisburg... it was a repeat of the shade mountian/bald eagle area riding but it said this also...

The Bureau of Forestry's ATV trails are not open to dirt bikes. All trails which have been designated for ATV use have been closed to licensed vehicles and are restricted to registered ATVs.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Does anyone know of any trails/tracks that are near the Towanda PA area? Four wheeler or dirtbike, it doesn't really matter. I go to college around Scranton, so anything really. I haven't been able to find too much out. If anyone can help, it'd be appreciated. There's not much around except for the occasional poker run.

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
tower city is the best trails i have ever ridden i raced on rausch creek proporty and it was a blast for other options i would find a search engine for trails in your area

i used to know of one but i forget what it is soryy

Hevster1

May 2, 2000
You can most certainly insure a dirtbike. Contact universal underwriters insurance. PAtra has 2 trails setup. Seven mtns requires a street legal bike Shade mountain does not.
As you may already know Paragon is on shaky footing. If you are 16 or older I suggest joining an enduro club if you like trail riding. check out www.ecea.org.
One thing I will tell you, 5 years ago there were far more trials available. 20 years ago you could go nearly anywhere. 35 years ago you NEVER got hassled. Excessive noise is killing the sport. Please keep your bikes quiet! if you really think you are that good where you need a super loud pipe for max power, I can hook you up with former national champions Drew & Chris Smith. If you can pass them then i agree you need the most power you can get. They ride stock piped bikes and are super fast.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom